Product Code: oth7
AMA Research have published the 9th edition of the ' Pet Accessories Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis '. This report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that continue to impact on the market and forecasts for market development over the next few years.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, product mixes and product trends.
- Analysis by product group - care products, toys, housing, bedding & feeding, collars, leads & utility products.
- Analysis by pet type - dogs, cats, fish & reptiles, small animals and birds.
- Review of supply and distribution structure - company profiles, market structure etc.
- Forecasts of market developments - key trends and future prospects to 2019.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance during 2012-2015 - pet owners' unwillingness to compromise on their pets helps to underpin market.
- Analysis by type of pet - estimated shares held by the different pet types.
- Product group analysis - market size and forecasts 2009-2019, product mixes, mix by type of pets, market influences and trends.
- Review of key suppliers - shares of major players.
- Review of key distribution channels - continued expansion of Pets Superstores, growth of the Internet, Amazon in particular, and impact of discount stores.
- Forecasts of market performance to 2019 - prospects and market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
Ancol Pet Products, Aqua Pacific (UK), Aquatics, Argos, Armitages Pet Products, Bayer (UK), Beaphar, Bestpets, Bob Martin UK, Boots, Company of Animals, Countrywide Farmers, Creature Comforts, Danish Design Pet Products, Dobbies, Ferplast (UK), Garden & Leisure Group, Hagen, Happy Pet Products, Hi-Craft, Homebase, Interpet, Johnson's Veterinary Products, Just for Pets, Juwel Aquarium (UK), Leonard F. Jollye, Lloyds Pharmacy, Maidenhead Aquatics, Mars Petcare, Merial Animal Health, Milpets, Mines for Pets, Pampurred Pets, Pedigree Wholesale, Pet Brands, Petlife International, Pets at Home, Pets Corner, PetSafe, Pettex, R Plevin & Sons, Reef One, Rolf C Hagen, Rosewood Pet Products, Savic, Scruffs, Sharples 'n' Grant, Stax Trade Centres, Tetra (UK), The Garden Centre Group, The Pet Warehouse Co, The Range, Tolsa (UK), Trago Mill, Vital Pet Products, Webbs Garden Centre, Wilkinson Hardware Store, World of Water.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- UK pet accessories market - market definition, size, key characteristics of the market, share within the overall pet market..
- Overall market size in value terms from 2009-2015, with forecasts through to 2019.
- Market trends and key market influences including pet ownership levels, types of pet, increasing humanisation of pets and demand for convenience products.
- Estimated shares by type of pet - dogs, cats, small animals, reptile/fish & birds - dominance of dog & cat products, trends etc.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels - continued expansion of Pet Superstores, growth of the Internet (Amazon in particular) and impact of discount stores.
- Review of product groups - care products; toys; housing, bedding & feeding equipment; collars, leads & utility products and miscellaneous.
- Estimated shares of main product groups within pet accessories market.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market sizes 2009-2015, with forecasts to 2019, mix by type of pets.
- Product sectors - market sector sizes - care products including maintenance, worm/flea treatments, types of cat litter, health supplements and grooming; dog & cat toys & tank accessories; bedding, cages, aquariums/terrariums, hutches, feeding; leads, collars and other products etc.
- Review of products within market - recent trends, future prospects and factors affecting sector.
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Profiles of leading manufacturers of pet accessories - fragmented structure, market shares of leading players, company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Supplier shares for bedding & baskets, cat litter and aquariums & other terrariums.
- Review of distribution - estimated channel shares including pet superstores, independent pet stores, grocery multiples, mail order/catalogue/Internet. Impact of changing consumer shopping behaviour and growth of discount stores.
- Review of leading distributors - profiles of key distributors including company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Forecast of market development in the short, medium and long term.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - humanisation of pets, pet ownership levels, disposable incomes, product innovation, environmental issues, impact of the Internet on distribution.
- Outlook for pet accessories market through to 2019 .
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
Pet accessories is a highly fragmented and competitive market that covers a wide range of product groups including care products, toys, housing, bedding & feeding products, and collars, leads and utility products. The sector is considered to be relatively resilient to economic downturns and has generally experienced flat to marginal growth levels over recent years - a performance which can be considered good in comparison with many other 'home product' markets.
Key influences within the pet accessories market are pet ownership levels, trends in the types of pet owned, a demand for more convenient products and the increasing humanisation of pets, with the latter representing one of the most important reasons for the resilience of the pet accessories market during the difficult economic climate. However, the market for pet accessories remains competitive and lower cost imports are a key feature in some product segments, such as toys.
Some sectors of the market have performed better than others in recent years. Care products are seen by pet owners as essential and have continued to underpin the market, with sales of grooming products also experiencing growth in recent years as a result of rising demand for premium products and higher ownership levels of specialist and cross breeds, which require more regular grooming. The toys sector has become increasingly polarised, with cheaper products offered by some outlets, but the sector has been underpinned by increasing demand for better quality and higher value products. The bedding sector has experienced a similar trend. Aquariums and other vivariums have experienced low level growth.
Future prospects for pet accessories are relatively bright and the market is forecast to experience steady growth rates until 2019. Factors expected to help underpin the market include demand for convenience, eco-friendliness and aesthetics, as well as product innovation. The gradual shift towards smaller houses and gardens may, however, restrict higher levels of growth in pet ownership in the longer term or a change in the types of pet owned.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND
- 4.2.1 Overall Pet Market
- 4.2.2 Product Mix for Overall Pet market
- 4.3 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE
- 4.5 CURRENT SITUATION
- 4.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 4.7 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.7.1 Pet Ownership Levels
- 4.7.2 The Animal Welfare Act
- 4.8 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET BY TYPE OF PET
5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 CARE PRODUCTS
- 5.2.1 Flea and Worm Treatments
- 5.2.2 Maintenance Products
- 5.2.3 Healthcare Supplements
- 5.2.4 Grooming Equipment
- 5.3 TOYS
- 5.3.1 Dog Toys
- 5.3.2 Cat Toys
- 5.3.3 Reptile and Fish Decorative Products
- 5.3.4 Small Animal Toys
- 5.3.5 Toys for Birds
- 5.4 HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS
- 5.4.1 Cages
- 5.4.2 Aquariums and Other Vivariums
- 5.4.3 Beds and Baskets
- 5.4.4 Hutches
- 5.4.5 Feeding Equipment
- 5.5 COLLARS, LEADS AND UTILITY PRODUCTS
- 5.5.1 Leads and Collars
- 5.5.2 Muzzles and harnesses
- 5.5.3 Utility Products
- 5.6 OTHER PRODUCTS
- 6.1 SUPPLIER OVERVIEW
- 6.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS
- 6.3 SUPPLIERS WITHIN SPECIFIC MARKET SECTORS
- 6.3.1 Bedding & Baskets Suppliers
- 6.3.2 Cat Litter Suppliers
- 6.3.3 Aquarium and Vivarium Suppliers
- 7.1 MARKET SHARE OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 7.2 PET SUPERSTORES
- 7.3 INDEPENDENT PET SHOPS
- 7.4 GROCERY MULTIPLES
- 7.5 GARDEN AND AQUATIC CENTRES
- 7.6 DIY MULTIPLES, INDEPENDENT HARDWARE & DIY STORES
- 7.7 MAIL ORDER, CATALOGUE AND INTERNET
- 7.8 OTHERS
- 7.9 WHOLESALERS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 TOTAL UK PET MARKET BY VALUE (£BN RSP) 2009 - 2019
- CHART 7 OVERALL PET MARKET PRODUCT MARKET MIX (FOOD, ACCESSORIES, VETS/INSURANCE ETC) - 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 8 UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET 2009 - 2019 (£M RSP)
- CHART 9 PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLDS OWNING A PET IN THE UK (CATS, DOGS, INDOOR FISH, RABBITS, BIRDS, HAMSTERS) - 2014
- CHART 10 THE UK'S TOP TEN PETS - 2014/15 (MILLIONS)
- CHART 11 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - MIX BY TYPE OF ANIMAL BY VALUE IN 2014 (DOGS, CATS, FISH/REPTILES, SMALL ANIMALS, BIRDS)
- CHART 12 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE IN 2014
- TABLE 13 MARKET SIZE OF UK CARE PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP)
- CHART 14 MARKET SHARE OF CARE PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET - % MIX BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 15 PRODUCT MIX OF CARE PRODUCTS - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 (FLEA/WORM TREATMENTS, MAINTENANCE, HEALTH TREATMENTS, GROOMING)
- CHART 16 ANIMAL MEDICINE SALES BY TYPE OF ANIMAL (PET, FOOD PRODUCING, OTHER) - 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 17 TYPES OF FLEA TREATMENT BY VALUE 2014 (DROPS, COLLARS, SPRAYS, SHAMPOOS, OTHERS)
- CHART 18 TYPE OF WORM TREATMENTS BY VALUE 2014 (TABLETS, GRANULES, OTHERS)
- CHART 19 TYPE OF CAT LITTER (ECO-LITTERS AND 'OTHERS') BY VALUE 2014
- TABLE 20 UK TOYS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP)
- CHART 21 MARKET SHARE OF TOYS BY TYPE OF PET (CAT, DOG, REPTILE/FISH, SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD) - % MIX BY VALUE 2014
- TABLE 22 UK HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP)
- CHART 23 MARKET SHARE OF HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS BY TYPE OF PET - % MIX BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 24 MARKET SHARE OF HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 (CAGES, AQUARIUMS, BEDDING/BASKETS, HUTCHES ETC)
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARE OF CAGES BY VALUE - 2014 (SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD & OTHERS)
- TABLE 26 MIX OF AQUARIUMS AND OTHER VIVARIUMS, % BY VALUE 2008- 2014
- TABLE 27 MARKET SIZE OF UK COLLARS, LEADS & UTILITY PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2019 (£M RSP)
- TABLE 28 MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARE OF BEDDING & BASKETS SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 30 MARKET SHARE OF CAT LITTER SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 31 MARKET SHARE OF AQUARIUM/ VIVARIUM SUPPLIERS - 2014 BY VALUE
- CHART 32 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PET ACCESSORY PRODUCTS IN 2014