Product Code: bld54
The 7th edition of the ‘Education Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis’ has been published by AMA Research. The report reviews construction activity and leading capital building programmes in the primary, secondary and higher education sectors against a backdrop of constrained Government funding.
Key issues covered:
- Construction output in the public and private education sector plus forecasts to 2021.
- Assessment of the structure and size of the primary, secondary and higher education sectors.
- Assessment of public sector funding for primary, secondary and higher education sectors, with analysis of resource/ capital budgets for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- Key market trends and the impact of government spending cuts on education projects and capital programmes.
Key areas of insight include:
- Review of leading contractors and developers and their consortia within schools and universities.
- Analysis of key capital building programmes and frameworks in the school sector, including Priority Schools Building Programme, Scotland's Schools for the Future Programme and the Welsh 21st Century Schools Programme.
- Analysis of funding sources in the higher education sector including income from bank credit, tuition fees, research grants, capital endowments, PFI, bond markets etc.
- Overview of developer and contractor activity within the different sectors of education construction.
Education Construction in the UK
- Total Construction Output - value of output construction new work and forecasts to 2021 and construction output by sector.
- Contractors' output in the school sector and output in the higher education sector including forecasts to 2021.
Primary & Secondary Education Sector
- Structure of UK School system - mainstream and other state schools, independent schools.
- Education Capital Funding - England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.
- Analysis of recent spending announcements - 2017 Spring Budget, 2016 Autumn Statement.
- Education capital building programmes - PSBP 1&2, Academies Programme, Free Schools, UTCs, Scotland's Schools for the Future Programme, Wales' 21st Century Schools.
Higher Education Sector
- Overview and structure of the UK HE sector.
- University estates - size, Capital spending & infrastructure backlog.
- Impact of the Higher Education & Research Act on the number/role of private providers in the HE sector.
- Key trends in the HE sector - student growth, applications, tuition fees, Brexit, and their impact on student numbers.
- Capital expenditure in the higher education sector - England, Scotland, Wales.
- Alternative funding sources - capital markets, endowment funds, bond markets etc.
- University capital building programmes - university and regional enterprise zones.
- Overview of student accommodation sector - Types of accommodation, regional provision, key providers.
Construction Supply in the Education Sector
- Leading Contractors and major project awards - Schools sector.
- Leading Contractors and major project awards - higher education sector.
- Leading Contractors and Developers - Student Accommodation.
- Procurement of Projects in the Higher Education Sector.
Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bouygues UK, Bowmer & Kirkland, Carillion, Downing Developments, Galliford Try, Interserve, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Morgan Sindall, Osborne, Sir Robert McAlpine, Wates, Watkin Jones, Willmott Dixon and many more.
Table of Contents
2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1. MARKET SUMMARY
- 2.2. MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- 4.1. TOTAL CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- 4.2. EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION MARKET
5. PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- 5.1. MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 5.2. STATE SCHOOLS
- 5.2.1. Overview
- 5.2.2. Funding
- 5.2.3. Capital Building Programmes
- 5.3. INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS
6. THE HIGHER EDUCATION SECTOR
- 6.1. OVERVIEW AND STRUCTURE
- 6.2. MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 6.2.1. Student Growth
- 6.2.2. Tuition Fees
- 6.3. FUNDING
- 6.3.1. Sources of Funding
- 6.3.2. Regional Funding
- 6.3.3. Endowment Funds & Debt Capital
- 6.4. CAPITAL BUILDING PROGRAMMES
- 6.5. STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
- 6.5.1. Overview
- 6.5.2. Regional Analysis
- 6.5.3. Commercial Providers
7. CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR
- 7.1. LEADING CONTRACTORS IN THE SCHOOLS SECTOR
- 7.1.1. Higher Education Sector
- 7.1.2. Student Accommodation Sector
- 7.1.3. Procurement of Projects in the HE Sector
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR EDUCATION NEW WORK 2012 TO 2021- BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: VALUE OF TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 7: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB
- TABLE 8: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR EDUCATION NEW WORK 2012 TO 2021- BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES
- CHART 9: EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND GROWTH FORECASTS 2016 TO 2021 (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 10: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT FOR SCHOOLS EDUCATION PUBLIC SECTOR NEW WORK 2012 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES
- TABLE 11: EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 2017-18
- CHART 12: DFE CAPITAL EXPENDITURE IN SCHOOLS 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN)
- TABLE 13: DFE: CAPITAL DEL SUMMARY 2015-17 BY BUDGET (£)
- TABLE 14: EDUCATION CAPITAL SPENDING SCOTLAND 2013-2018: (£M)
- TABLE 15: EDUCATION CAPITAL SPENDING WALES 2016-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 16: EDUCATION SPENDING NORTHERN IRELAND 2014-15 TO 2016-17: MIX BY RESOURCES & CAPITAL (£BN)
- TABLE 17: ESFA CONSTRUCTION FRAMEWORK 2017 - PROPOSED VALUE OF LOTS (£M)
- TABLE 18: PRIORITY SCHOOLS BUILDING PROGRAMME: PROJECT STATUS (AS AT DECEMBER 2016) BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 19: ACADEMIES OPEN BY PHASE OF EDUCATION AND TYPE OF ACADEMY (AS AT AUGUST 2017)
- TABLE 20: ACADEMIES IN THE PIPELINE BY PHASE OF EDUCATION AND TYPE OF ACADEMY (AS AT AUGUST 2017)
- TABLE 21: SCOTTISH PROCUREMENT ALLIANCE - £800M SCHOOLS FRAMEWORK: APPOINTED CONTRACTORS
- TABLE 22: SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT - KEY CAPITAL AND REVENUE FUNDED EDUCATION PROJECTS: FORWARD PIPELINE 2015-2020 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 23: UK PUBLIC SECTOR EDUCATION OUTPUT: UNIVERSITIES AND TOTAL OUTPUT - BY VALUE £BN AT CURRENT PRICES 2012 TO 2016
- TABLE 24: HIGHER EDUCATION ESTATE MANAGEMENT DATA BY INSTITUTION - CAPITAL EXPENDITURE ON NON-RESIDENTIAL ESTATE 2015-16
- CHART 25: HEI APPLICATIONS 2013-2017 (JUNE DEADLINE) (UK, EU & OVERSEAS APPLICANTS)
- TABLE 26: ANNUAL TUITION FEES IN THE UK BY COUNTRY (COURSES STARTING IN 2017)
- CHART 27: UK HIGHER EDUCATION MAIN SOURCES OF INCOME -2015-16
- TABLE 28: TOP CAPITAL ALLOCATIONS TO HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS 2017-18 (£M)
- TABLE 29: SFC SCOTLAND CAPITAL FUNDING TO HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS 2017-18 (£M)
- TABLE 30: TOP 15 UK UNIVERSITY ENDOWMENT FUNDS 2016 (£M)
- TABLE 31: UNIVERSITY ENTERPRISE ZONES IN THE UK - SUMMARY
- CHART 32: TYPES OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION IN THE UK - APPROXIMATE SHARE BY TYPE 2016
- CHART 33: FORWARD PIPELINE OF STUDENT BED-SPACES BY OPERATOR 2017-20
- TABLE 34: REGIONAL PROVISION OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION AT MAJOR UK UNIVERSITIES 2015-16
- TABLE 35: MARKET SHARES OF LEADING PBSA OPERATORS 2016-17
- TABLE 36: TOP 10 CONTRACTORS IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR (BY NUMBER & VALUE OF CONTRACTS AWARDED) YEAR TO AUGUST 2017