Product Code: oth14
The 6th edition of the 'Health and Safety Products Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' reviews the markets for personal protection equipment (PPE), hygiene products, first aid products, safety signs and fire safety products. The market performance is heavily reliant on replacement purchases and on new or revised legislation, as well as construction and manufacturing activity levels and has shown positive growth in recent years.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, product mixes and product trends.
- Analysis by product group - PPE, hygiene, first aid, safety signs, fire safety.
- Review of the supply and distribution structure.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
- The report includes up to date information on the recent trends and issues that impact the market.
Areas of Particular Interest include:
- Review of the key factors influencing the market in 2016/2017.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, product mixes, influences and trends in each of the key markets.
- Review of key suppliers - shares of major players in each product sector.
- Review of supply chain and key distribution channels - industrial products distributors, health & safety specialists etc.
- Forecasts of market performance to 2021 - prospects and market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
Arco Limted, Parker Merchanting, Screwfix, Seton, Cromwell Tools, Bunzl RS Components, Eriks Industrial Services, Brammer UK Ltd, Buck & Hickman, Key Industrial Equipment, Monks and Crane Industrial Group, FWB Products Ltd, Hayley Group Ltd, HC Slingsby plc, Spartan Safety Ltd, MSC Industrial Supply, Phoenix Saxton Ltd, Warwick Industrial Supplies, Samco Industrial Merchants, J & K Ross, DD Health, Safety Supplies Ltd, Travis Perkins plc, Jewson, Grafton Merchanting GB, Wolseley UK Ltd, Speedy Hire plc, A-Plant, HSS Hire Group, The Office Safety Company, Everglades International, The Safety Supply Company, Deb Ltd, Gojo Industries Europe Ltd, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, The Northwood Group/Northwood Hygiene Products Ltd, SCA Hygiene Products UK Ltd, Metsä Tissue, Sofidel UK, Cleenol, Accrol Papers, Wallace Cameron International, Cederroth, Reliance Medical, Safety First Aid, Crest Medical, Wallace Cameron International Ltd, Cederroth First Aid, Reliance Medical, Direct Signs, Safety Sign Supplies, Archer Safety Signs, Stocksigns, HFE Signs Ltd, Rochdale Signs Ltd, Key Signs, SafetySigns4Less, FLN Feuerlöschgeräte Neuruppin Vertriebs-Gmbh, Chubb Fire, Kidde Safety Europe, United Technologies Corporation, Fireblitz Extinguisher Ltd, Britannia Fire, PJ Fire Ltd,Safelincs, Fire Protection Centre Ltd, Fire Protection Shop, Fire Safety Store, Compass Fire Protection Ltd, BBC Fire Protection, Pennine Fire & Safety Ltd, GBR Workwear, firstaid.co.uk, firstaid4less.co.uk, Eureka Direct, First Response Supplies, Beeswift Limited, Safetyshop, SP Services, Bound Tree Medical, DS Medical, LE West International, Medtree, Galleon Supplies, Janitorial Direct, Ace Janitorial, Apollo Janitorial Supplies Ltd, Lixall.
- UK health & safety products market - market definition, size and factors underpinning demand and restricting growth.
- Overall market size in value terms from 2012-2016, with forecasts through to 2021, recent performance and future prospects in the market, key influencing factors, key drivers for change etc.
- Key market influences - including health & safety regulations and exceptional circumstances (such as natural disasters and virulent disease outbreaks), level of imports, price competition, product development, employment numbers, key end-use markets including construction and manufacturing base. Impact of economic climate.
- Overview of key suppliers and distribution channels - dominance of industrial products distributors and health & safety specialists in product distribution.
- Product groups reviewed - PPE, hygiene products, first aid products, safety signs and fire safety products - market sizes and forecasts 2012-2021.
- Estimated shares of main product group within overall market - 2016.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market sizes, with forecasts to 2021.
- Product sectors - review of products within sector, including recent trends and factors affecting sector. Supply structure for each product, including market shares of leading manufacturers.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Profiles of leading manufacturers of health & safety products - market shares of leading players by sector, company structure, product profiles and turnovers etc. Recent acquisitions.
- Review of distribution - estimated channel shares in 2016 including general industrial distributors, health & safety specialists and equipment hire companies etc.
- Profiles of leading distributors - estimated shares of leading general industrial distributors and health & safety specialists. Review of key distributors including company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Forecasts of market development in the short, medium and long term.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - performance of UK economy, employment levels, housebuilding, construction and manufacturing, consumer visits to retail outlets, leisure establishments & public offices and regulations.
- Outlook for the health and safety products market through to 2021.
The UK health and safety products market, in non-domestic applications, has been in positive growth since 2014, driven by significant improvements in construction output (particularly in terms of housebuilding), a stronger manufacturing sector, ongoing changes or updates to legislation and higher levels of awareness and compliance. The maturity of the market, and heavy reliance on construction and manufacturing activity and output, also means that it is reliant on public and private sector confidence, levels of spending and investment, and employment growth.
Simplification of health and safety legislation has led to a substantial fall in the number of health and safety inspections carried out in Britain. At the same time, there has been a progressive rise in the value of fines levied - particularly since the introduction of new sentencing guidelines for health and safety offences, which came into force on 1 February 2016. Innovation and new product development is focused on higher levels of comfort and improved wearability - both of which boost compliance, still a significant problem in the health and safety products market. Handwashing and hand decontamination is also a particularly strong area of product development.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) dominates the health and safety products market, accounting for a value share of around 42% in 2016. The sector covers a very wide range of products including head, face, eye, hearing and respiratory products, as well as clothing, gloves, safety footwear and fall protection equipment. Hygiene products and first aid products also make up significant segments of the market. For consumables, users tend to opt for lower cost products that meet the minimum required standard, and there is also a strong presence of unbranded products, something which has constrained market growth to some extent in these sectors.
In value terms, growth is likely to remain steady in 2017, at around 4%, however given the uncertainties in the wider economy and the potential for a slowing of both economic growth and the labour market, we expect the rate of growth to decline slightly 2018-2021. The impact of Brexit and, more importantly, the discussions and speculation surrounding it will, however, certainly impact business sentiment and levels of investment. Changes to legislation, and the imposition of stricter limits and higher penalties for non-compliance are also factors driving changes in demand.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. THE HEALTH & SAFETY PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 Legislation
- 4.3.2 Employment
- 4.3.3 Construction Output
- 4.3.4 Manufacturing Output
5. HEALTH & SAFETY PRODUCTS
- 5.1 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.2 PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
- 5.2.1 Market Definition & Size
- 5.2.2 Product Mix
- 5.3 HYGIENE PRODUCTS
- 5.3.1 Market Definition & Size
- 5.3.2 Product Mix
- 5.4 FIRST AID PRODUCTS
- 5.4.1 Market Definition & Size
- 5.4.2 Product Mix
- 5.5 SAFETY SIGNS
- 5.5.1 Market Definition & Size
- 5.5.2 Product Mix
- 5.6 FIRE SAFETY PRODUCTS
- 5.6.1 Market Definition & Size
- 5.6.2 Product Mix
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.2 PPE
- 6.2.1 Market Shares
- 6.2.2 Company Profiles
- 6.3 HYGIENE PRODUCTS
- 6.3.1 Market Shares
- 6.3.2 Company Profiles
- 6.4 FIRST AID PRODUCTS
- 6.5 SAFETY SIGNS
- 6.6 FIRE SAFETY PRODUCTS
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES
- 7.2 DISTRIBUTOR SHARES
- 7.3 INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS AND HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALISTS
- 7.4 OTHER SUPPLIERS OF HEALTH AND SAFETY PRODUCTS
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK HEALTH AND SAFETY PRODUCTS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2021 BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY PRODUCTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 7: UK WORKFORCE BY INDUSTRY SECTOR (THOUSANDS, SIC 2007) - 2012 TO 2016
- CHART 8: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR (HOUSEBUILDING, INFRASTRUCTURE, COMMERCIAL ETC) - ANNUAL TOTALS (INDEX 2010 = 100)
- CHART 9: INDEX OF OUTPUT OF THE PRODUCTION INDUSTRIES (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 2013-2016 (2013=100)
- CHART 10: MIX OF HEALTH AND SAFETY PRODUCTS BY VALUE (2016) - PPE, HYGIENE, FIRST AID, SAFETY SIGNS AND FIRE SAFETY
- CHART 11: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR PPE BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021
- CHART 12: PRODUCT MIX OF PPE BY VALUE IN 2016 - CLOTHING, FOOTWEAR, EAR, HEAD, HAND, EYE/FACE, RESPIRATORY, FALL ETC
- CHART 13: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR HYGIENE PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021
- CHART 14: PRODUCT MIX OF HYGIENE PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2016 - WASHROOM AND SKIN CARE
- CHART 15: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR FIRST AID PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021
- CHART 16: PRODUCT MIX OF FIRST AID PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2016 (KITS, REFILLS, SPECIAL PURPOSE KITS)
- CHART 17: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR SAFETY SIGNS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2021
- CHART 18: PRODUCT MIX OF SAFETY SIGNS BY VALUE IN 2016 (HAZARD WARNING, SAFE CONDITION, FIRE, MANDATORY, PROHIBITION ETC)
- CHART 19: SAFETY SIGNS BY MATERIAL BY VALUE 2014 (SAV, PVC/RP, OTHER)
- CHART 20: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR FIRE SAFETY BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012 -2021
- CHART 21: PRODUCT MIX OF FIRE SAFETY PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2016 (EXTINGUISHERS, STANDS/CABINETS, BUCKETS/HOSES ETC)
- TABLE 22: PPE - SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES BY PRODUCT GROUP BY VALUE 2016 (HAND PROTECTION, EAR, EYE/FACE, HEAD, RESPIRATORY, FALL ETC.)
- TABLE 23: SKIN CARE PRODUCT MANUFACTURERS - MARKET SHARE BY VALUE IN 2016
- TABLE 24: WASHROOM PRODUCT MANUFACTURERS - MARKET SHARE BY VALUE IN 2016
- CHART 25: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX FOR HEALTH & SAFETY PRODUCTS BY VALUE (%) - 2016 AT DSP (H&S SPECIALISTS, INDUSTRIAL / OTHER DISTRIBUTORS, INTERNET ETC.)
- TABLE 26: UK HEALTH & SAFETY PRODUCTS -INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS AND HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALIST CHANNELS MARKET SHARES BY % VALUE IN 2016 AT DSP