Product Code: Bld26
The 11th edition of 'Facilities Management Outsourcing Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' assesses the overall market size for bundled facilities management services, analysing the size of the market, the mix by major end use sector, the key suppliers and the key trends and influencing factors throughout. Incorporating original input and primary research, the report provides a wide-ranging and informative perspective on the sector, with a focus on the provision of Total Facilities Management and 'bundled' or multi-service provision.
Key sections covered:
- Overview of multi-service provision in the UK FM outsourcing market - size, recent trends and key market influences, forecasts and future prospects.
- Analysis of 3 key end-use sectors for corporate, central & local government, healthcare & education - sector sizes/performance trends and influences by sector and potential areas of opportunity.
- Key market market trends and influences - with analysis of market prospects and potential areas of opportunity.
- Review of market structure and leading providers - changing supply structure, diversification of service provision and company profiles for the leading contractors.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market activity from 2011 to 2016, with forecasts through to 2020.
- The trend towards bundled services and total facilities management as clients seek to consolidate supply chains and reduce costs.
- The broadening of service offerings by existing providers - creating intense competition.
- The development of specialist niche services within existing sectors - driven by providers seeking to differentiate.
- Growing client awareness of the risks associated with long term contracts - tighter provisions can be expected.
Key areas covered in the report include:
THE FACILITIES MANAGEMENT MARKET
- FM market overview - estimates of total market size from 2011-2016, with forecasts for the period from 2016 to 2020..
- Overview of support services outsourcing market - market size, sector shares, analysis by sector.
- Key market influences - diversification in service provision, public sector spending and legislative influences.
- Future prospects for FM market - covering macro-economic influences and government departmental expenditure, outlook by end-use application area, key potential growth areas, trends in service provision, changing supply structure, impact of market maturity, legislation and other key influences.
KEY END USE SECTORS
- Analysis of FM market by broad end-use sector - corporate, central & local government, healthcare & education.
- Estimates of market size for each sector from 2011-2016, with forecasts from 2017 to 2020.
- Review of mix of contracted-out / in-house trends.
- Key factors influencing trends within each sector.
- Corporate sector - development and trends, shortage of office space in many cities, changing methods of office design, penetration and market maturity, analysis of sub sectors - corporate offices, retail, leisure, manufacturing etc.
- Central & Local Government Sector - market mix, key growth sectors and areas of opportunity, influence of PFI/PPP.
- Analysis by department for Department of Work and Pensions, Ministry of Justice, HM Revenue & Customs, local authorities, and social housing. Central versus local government mix.
- Healthcare & Education Sector - market mix, outsourcing penetration levels, influence of PFI/PPP, procurement trends and opportunities.
FM CONTRACTORS REVIEW
- Review of origins of FM companies - construction, engineering, support services, property services and special purpose vehicles.
- Structure of supply - business process outsourcing, TFM contractors and support services providers.
- Key trends - period of acquisitions & mergers, impact of market maturity & margin erosion, expansion and diversification of service provision.
- Market shares of leading providers.
- Company profiles of leading FM providers covering over 30 major providers and niche specialists - outline includes company size, growth trends, areas of specialisation, sector strengths and major contracts.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The FM market has grown steadily over the last few decades, driven by rising awareness of the benefits outsourcing can offer. Within the private sector, outsourcing has also enabled many companies to concentrate on their core competencies. Market performance has started to improve following a relatively flat period during the years immediately subsequent to the economic downturn. The market was also adversely affected by the change in Government in 2010, when reduction of the deficit replaced increased public spending as a core policy. The market grew by 5% per annum in 2015, with 4% growth estimated for 2016.
The market is considered relatively mature across a wide range of sectors. However, whilst the progress of the FM market is likely to mirror the performance of the overall economy more closely in future, there are still value-added niche services to be exploited. As penetration of market sub sectors intensifies, FM companies are looking to wider range of services to add value to the market. Energy management has been a major area of diversification, encouraged by rising energy costs and tightening legislation. There are also newer forms of service which are far from mature. Examples include energy management, compliance services and workspace management, which have the potential to broaden the industry's scope and client base if exploited successfully.
One legacy of the economic downturn has been heightened price competition, as end-users seek better value for money. This has had a negative effect upon contract prices and hence margins, whilst clients have also been seeking shorter contract lengths. More recently, clients have been focusing upon areas other than price, such as value for money and likely project outcomes. One of the issues facing the industry is the introduction of the Government's Living Wage. The FM industry is labour intensive and while some of these costs will be absorbed, this will inevitably drive the market upwards. The development of the FM market has been positively influenced by the trend to outsource an increasing array of services, especially within the commercial and healthcare sectors. This has resulted in greater demand for 'bundled service' and TFM contracts, which have added to value growth.
Consolidation continues to take place within the industry, due to increasing pressure on margins, the mature state of many market sectors and the desire to expand the range of services offered. Although price competition remains intense, a number of contractors have signed large-scale FM contracts since the beginning of 2015. A number of these have been within the healthcare and local government sectors, although commercial operators such as Rolls Royce and Nationwide have also awarded big contracts during this time. There continues to be a trend towards FM contracts with regional or global coverage. This naturally favours the larger providers, and points to a growing polarisation of the FM market between big and small - as a result, the pressure on medium-sized companies is likely to intensify.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.2.1 Market Size
- 4.2.2 Market Background
- 4.2.3 Market Prospects
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 Diversification in Service Provision and Contract Periods
- 4.3.2 Non-Domestic Construction Output
- 4.3.3 Public Private Partnerships
- 4.3.4 Legislation
- 4.4 SERVICES AND SERVICE PROVISION
- 4.4.1 Service Provision
- 4.4.2 Service Mix
- 4.4.3 Cleaning
- 4.4.4 Building Maintenance
- 4.4.5 Security
- 4.4.6 Catering
- 4.4.7 Mechanical and Electrical Services (M&E)
- 4.4.8 Energy Management
- 4.4.9 Waste Management
- 4.4.10 Other Services
5. KEY END USE SECTORS
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 CORPORATE SECTOR
- 5.2.1 Market Size and Trends
- 5.2.2 Key End Use Markets
- 5.3 CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- 5.3.1 Market Size & Trends
- 5.3.2 Key End Use Markets
- 5.4 HEALTH & EDUCATION SECTORS
- 5.4.1 Market Size & Trends
- 5.4.2 Key End Use Markets
- 5.4.3 Major FM Contracts - Health and Education
6. CONTRACTORS REVIEW
- 6.1 ORIGINS AND SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.2 MARKET LEADERS
- 6.3 COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.3.1 Leading 20 FM Contractors
- 6.3.2 Other FM Contractors
- CHART 1 UK BUNDLED FM OUTSOURCING MARKET AT CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2011-2020
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK FM MULTI-SERVICE OUTSOURCING MARKET 2011 -2020 £M (AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 7 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2011-2020 (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES
- TABLE 8 CURRENT PFI PROJECTS ACROSS GOVERNMENT BY DEPARTMENT 2015
- CHART 9 NUMBER AND COMBINED CAPITAL VALUE OF PFI PROJECTS SIGNED ANNUALLY 2005 TO 2015
- TABLE 10 PROJECTED SERVICE PAYMENTS UNDER PFI CONTRACTS - 2010/2011 TO 2020/2021
- CHART 11 UK NON-CORE SERVICES MARKET BY TYPE OF OPERATION 2016
- CHART 12 SERVICE MIX OF BUNDLED FM MARKET BY VALUE (%) (CLEANING, SECURITY, CATERING ETC) 2016
- TABLE 13 CONSTRUCTION RMI OUTPUT 2011 - 2020 (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES
- CHART 14 UK FM SERVICES MARKET SHARE BY VALUE - 2016
- TABLE 15 UK CORPORATE FM OUTSOURCING MARKET 2011-2020 (AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 16 UK CORPORATE FM BY END USE SECTOR 2016
- TABLE 17 RETAIL TURNOVER EXCLUDING AUTOMOTIVE FUEL (£BN), 2011-2016
- CHART 18 RETAIL TURNOVER EXCLUDING AUTOMOTIVE FUEL BY SECTOR 2016
- TABLE 19 LEADING HEALTH & FITNESS GROUPS, 2016
- TABLE 20 MAJOR FM CONTRACTS - ENERGY INDUSTRY 2015-2016
- TABLE 21 UK CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM MARKET 2011-2020 (CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 22 CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT MARKET SEGMENTATION BY VALUE (%), 2016
- TABLE 23 GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT OPERATING COSTS, 2012/2013 - 2013/2014 (£M)
- TABLE 24 CENTRAL GOVERNMENT - MAJOR FM CONTRACTS, 2015-2016
- TABLE 25 LOCAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS - COUNTY COUNCILS/UNITARY AUTHORITIES - 2015-16
- TABLE 26 LOCAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS - BOROUGH COUNCILS - 2015-16
- TABLE 27 UK EDUCATION AND HEALTHCARE BUNDLED FM OUTSOURCING MARKET 2011-2020 (£M)
- TABLE 28 CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2011-2020 (£M CURRENT PRICES) PRIVATE & PUBLIC HEALTH AND EDUCATION
- CHART 29 MIX OF FM MARKET BY VALUE BETWEEN THE HEALTH AND EDUCATION SECTORS - 2016
- TABLE 30 NHS TRUSTS - VALUE OF CONTRACTED OUT SERVICES & FM EXPENDITURE, 2014/2015 - 2015/2016 (£M)
- TABLE 31 ESTIMATED SERVICE MIX IN OUTSOURCED FM IN THE HEALTH SECTOR (CLEANING, BLDG & ENG, CATERING ETC.) 2015/2016
- TABLE 32 PUBLIC SCHOOLS - EXPENDITURE ON BOUGHT-IN PROFESSIONAL SERVICES (NON-CURRICULUM) 2013/2014 - 2014/2015 (£M)
- CHART 33 PUBLIC SECTOR SCHOOLS EXPENDITURE ON SELECTED SERVICES (£M) 2014/15
- TABLE 34 MAJOR FM CONTRACTS - HEALTH & EDUCATION SECTORS 2015-2016
- TABLE 35 TOP 20 FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK
- TABLE 36 CAPITA - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 37 MITIE - FINANCIAL INFORMATION, 2013-2016 TURNOVER (£M)
- TABLE 38 MITIE - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 39 AMEY UK - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR AND VALUE - 2015-16
- TABLE 40 SERCO - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 41 INTERSERVE - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 42 CARILLION - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 43 KIER - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 44 BABCOCK INTERNATIONAL GROUP - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 45 ISS FACILITY SERVICES - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR, 2015-16
- TABLE 46 CBRE/NORLAND MANAGED SERVICES - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR 2015-16
- TABLE 47 OCS GROUP UK - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 48 ENGIE UK/COFELY - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 49 SODEXO - MAJOR CONTRACT WINS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 50 G4S FACILITIES MANAGEMENT - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 51 VINCI - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16
- TABLE 52 EMCOR - MAJOR CONTRACTS BY SECTOR - 2015-16