INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research have published the 10th edition of the report ‘Facilities Management Outsourcing Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis' . Incorporating original input and primary research, the report provides a wide-ranging and informative perspective on the sector, with a focus on the provision of Total Facilities Management and ‘bundled' or multi-service provision.
Key areas covered by this report include:
- Overview of Multi-Service Provision in the UK FM outsourcing market - size, recent trends and key market influences, forecasts and future prospects.
- Analysis of 3 key end-use sectors for Corporate, Central & Local Government, Healthcare & Education - sector sizes / performance, trends and influences by sector and potential areas of opportunity.
- Review of Market Structure and Leading Providers - changing supply structure, diversification of service provision and company profiles for the leading contractors.
The global economic downturn has caused a period of turbulence within the FM outsourcing market, with financial constraints being imposed on both the private and public sectors. This has curbed demand in some areas of the corporate market - such as the retail sector. However, it has actually provided a positive stimulus in the public sector as outsourcing has been viewed by many authorities as a route to meeting punishing budget cuts. The trend to bundled service contracts has continued, driven partly by clients with positive experiences seeking to outsource more functions and partly by providers increasingly broadening their range of services in order to remain competitive. Although the UK economy has recovered since the last report, the positive outlook predicted by many forecasters is jeopardised by uncertainty and this will result in more clients seeking either to shorten contract lengths or at least to build in contingency clauses.
Areas of particular interest:
- Market activity from 2008 to 2013, with forecasts through to 2018.
- The trend towards bundled services and total facilities management as clients seek to consolidate supply chains and reduce costs.
- The broadening of service offerings by existing providers - creating intense competition.
- The development of specialist niche services within existing sectors - driven by providers seeking to differentiate.
- Growing client awareness of the risks associated with long term contracts - tighter provisions can be expected.
Major Companies profiled:
Amey Group, Aramark UK, Babcock International Group, Balfour Beatty Workplace, BAM Facilities Management, Capita Group, Carillion Facilities Management, Cofely, EC Harris Solutions, Emcor Facilities Services, Enterprise, Eric Wright Group, ETDE Energy and Services Division, Europa Support Services, Facilities Services Group, G4S Facilities Management, Gardiner & Theobald Facilities Management, Global Workplace Solutions, Hochtief Facilities Management, Initial Facilities Services, Integral UK, Interserve Support Services, Inviron, ISS UK, John Laing Integrated Services, Kier Facilities Services, Mapeley, MITIE, Morrison, Norland, Norse Group, OCS Group, Pinnacle PSG, Robertson Facilities Management, ROMEC, Serco Group, SGP Property and Facilities Management, Skanska Facilities Services, Sodexo Facilities Management, Telereal Trillium, Turner Facilities Management, Vinci Facilities, Volker Fitzpatrick.
Key areas covered in the report:
- Facilities Management Market overview - estimates of total market size from 2008-2013, with forecasts for the period from 2014 to 2018.
- Overview of overall support services outsourcing market - market size, sector shares, analysis by sector.
- Key market influences - diversification in service provision, public sector spending (including influence of PFI/PPP) and legislative influences.
- Future prospects for FM market covering macro-economic influences and government departmental expenditure, outlook by end-use application area, key potential growth areas, trends in service provision, changing supply structure, impact of market maturity, legislation and other key influences.
KEY END-USE SECTORS
- Analysis of FM market by broad end-use sector - Corporate, Central & Local Government, Healthcare & Education.
- Estimates of market size for each sector from 2008 - 2013, with forecasts from 2014 to 2018. Review of mix of contracted-out/in-house trends. Key factors influencing trends within each sector.
- ‘Corporate sector' - sector development and trends, booming office demand in London, take up levels, penetration and market maturity, analysis of sub sectors - corporate offices, retail, leisure, manufacturing etc.
- Central & Local Government Sector - market mix, key growth sectors and areas of opportunity, influence of PFI/PPP. Analysis by department for Department of Work and Pensions, Ministry of Justice, HM Revenue & Customs, Local Authorities, and Social Housing. Central versus Local Government mix.
- Healthcare & Education Sector - market mix, outsourcing penetration levels, influence of PFI/PPP, procurement trends and opportunities.
- Review of origins of FM companies - construction, engineering, support services, property services and special purpose vehicles.
- Structure of supply - Business Process Outsourcing, TFM contractors and support services providers.
- Key trends - period of acquisitions & mergers, impact of market maturity & margin erosion, expansion and diversification of service provision.
- Market Shares of leading providers.
- Company profiles of leading FM providers covering over 30 major providers and niche specialists - outline includes company size, growth trends, areas of specialisation, sector strengths and major contracts.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 2.1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 4.1. DEFINITION
- 4.2. MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.3. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1. Diversification in Service Provision and Contract Periods
- 4.3.2. Non-Domestic Construction Output
- 4.3.3. Public Private Partnerships
- 4.3.4. Legislation
- 4.4. SERVICES AND SERVICE PROVISION
- 4.4.1. Service Provision
- 4.4.2. Service Mix
- 4.4.3. Cleaning
- 4.4.4. Building Maintenance
- 4.4.5. Security
- 4.4.6. Catering
- 4.4.7. Other Services
5. KEY END USE SECTORS
- 5.1. OVERVIEW
- 5.2. CORPORATE SECTOR
- 5.2.1. Market Size and Trends
- 5.2.2. Key End Use Markets
- 5.3. CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- 5.3.1. Market Size & Trends
- 5.3.2. Key End Use Markets
- 5.4. HEALTH & EDUCATION SECTORS
- 5.4.1. Market Size & Trends
- 5.4.2. Key End Use Markets
6. CONTRACTORS REVIEW
- 6.1. ORIGINS AND SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.2. MARKET SHARES
- 6.3. COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.3.1. Leading FM Contractors
- 6.3.2. Other Large Companies in the FM Market
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK BUNDLED FM OUTSOURCING MARKET AT CURRENT PRICES £BN 2006 - 2016
- CHART 2: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 3: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 4: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2010 (‘000)
- TABLE 6: UK FM MULTI-SERVICE OUTSOURCING MARKET 2006 -2016 £M (AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 7: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2006-2016 (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES
- TABLE 8: CURRENT PFI PROJECTS ACROSS GOVERNMENT BY DEPARTMENT 2012
- CHART 9: NUMBER AND COMBINED CAPITAL VALUE OF PFI PROJECTS SIGNED ANNUALLY 2000 TO 2012
- TABLE 10: PROJECTED SERVICE PAYMENTS UNDER PFI CONTRACTS - 2006/2007 TO 2019/2020
- CHART 11: UK NON-CORE SERVICES MARKET BY TYPE OF OPERATION 2011
- CHART 12: SERVICE MIX OF BUNDLED FM MARKET BY VALUE (%) (CLEANING, SECURITY, CATERING ETC) 2011
- CHART 13: BUILDING MAINTENANCE PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2011 (%)
- TABLE 14: REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE SERVICE PROVISION - MIX OF IN-HOUSE AND OUTSOURCED PROVISION 2010 (GAS, VOIDS, EMERGENCY ETC)
- CHART 15: UK MIX OF CATERING PROVISION - IN-HOUSE, OUTSOURCED BUNDLED, OUTSOURCED SINGLE-SERVICE.
- CHART 16: UK FM SERVICES MARKET SHARE BY VALUE - 2011
- TABLE 17: UK CORPORATE FM OUTSOURCING MARKET 2006-2016 (AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 18: CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT - CORPORATE END USE MARKETS 2006-2016 (£BN) CURRENT PRICES
- CHART 19: UK CORPORATE FM BY END USE APPLICATION BY VALUE (LEISURE, RETAIL, OFFICES ETC) 2011
- CHART 20: CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET - OFFICE TAKE UP (MILLION SQ. FT)
- TABLE 21: RETAIL TURNOVER EXCLUDING AUTOMOTIVE FUEL (£BN) 2006-2012
- TABLE 22: UK CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM MARKET 2006-2016 (CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 23: MIX OF FM MARKET BY VALUE, CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT - 2011
- CHART 24: SERVICE PROVISION FOR SOCIAL HOUSING 2011
- TABLE 25: TOTAL AREA OF HOLDINGS AND TOTAL RUNNING COSTS BY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT (M2, % CHANGE, £M, % CHANGE)
- TABLE 26: UK EDUCATION AND HEALTHCARE BUNDLED FM OUTSOURCING MARKET 2006-2016 (£M)
- TABLE 27: CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2006 - 2016 (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES - PRIVATE & PUBLIC HEALTH AND EDUCATION SECTORS
- CHART 28: MIX OF FM MARKET BY VALUE BETWEEN THE HEALTH AND EDUCATION SECTORS - 2011
- CHART 29: SERVICE PROVISION MIX (IN HOUSE, BUNDLED, SINGLE ETC) BY VALUE 2010/11 (%)
- TABLE 30: ESTIMATED SERVICE MIX IN OUTSOURCED FM IN THE HEALTH SECTOR (CLEANING, BLDG & ENG, CATERING ETC) 2010/11
- CHART 31: FACILITIES SERVICES COSTS IN EDUCATION (SECONDARY, PRIMARY, TERTIARY ETC) BY VALUE 2010/11
- TABLE 32: FM SERVICE MIX IN EDUCATION (CATERING, BLDG & MAINTENANCE, CLEANING, GROUNDS MAINTENANCE ETC) BY VALUE
- TABLE 33: TOP 20 FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK