INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 5th Edition of
' Pond Equipment Market Report 2011-2015 Analysis' - incorporating original
input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed review of
While the sector has experienced a difficult period in 2009-10, medium term
prospects are for steady recovery in the market, reflecting the lasting
appeal of water features for many UK homeowners.
Key sectors included:
Pond liners and underlay.
- Pre-formed ponds and watercourses.
- Other ponds, such as concrete and raised ponds.
- Pumps and filtration systems, including filters, ultra-violet clarifiers
and combined units.
- Self-contained water features.
- Pond accessories, such as pond treatments, fish food, pond vacuums, pond
The report has been compiled by marketing professionals with a background in
the building and home improvement products industry, and assesses the market
in both QUALITATIVE and QUANTITATIVE terms.
This is a unique report assessing developments in this market in terms of
market value; trends; product mix; supply and distribution structures; key
influencing factors; as well as offering forecasts for future market size and
narrative on possible future developments up to 2015.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Overall market trends and key product sectors.
- Review of key market influences and trends.
- Analysis of key product sectors and sub-sectors - key areas of growth,
future prospects etc.
- Comprehensive review of supply and distribution structures - changes in
- Market forecasts for 2011-12 and medium term prospects through to 2015.
Companies and brands included:
ALF (Aquatic Distributors) Ltd, Barton Grange Garden Centres, Blagdon, Blue
Diamond Ltd, Britain' s Aquatic Superstore Ltd, Carlisle SynTec, Cloverleaf,
Country Homes and Gardens, Dobbies Garden Centres plc, Firestone Building
Products, Fish Mate, Garden & Leisure Group, Gordon Low Products Ltd, Haskins
Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Hozelock Cyprio, Interpet Ltd, J & K
Aquatics, Klondyke Garden Centres, Laguna, Maidenhead Aquatics, Messner,
Nishikoi Aquaculture Ltd, Notcutts Ltd, OAL Water Garden Products Ltd, Oase
(UK) Limited, Oasis, Otter Nurseries, Pet Mate Ltd, Scotsdales Nursery and
Garden Centre, SealEco, Solus Garden & Leisure, Squire' s Garden Centres,
Stephens Plastics Ltd , Tetra (UK) Ltd, The Garden Centre Group, Ubbink Garden
BV, UK Waterproofing Solutions, Van Hage, Webbs Garden Centres, World of Water.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:-
- Market overview of pond equipment market - definition; market background;
- Market size - analysis of size by value 2005-2110.
- Review of key market influences - housing completions; property
transactions; and levels of household consumption.
- Impact of the current economic downturn on the pond equipment market,
contrasted with the medium term trends.
- Market forecasts - 2011-2015. Review of key factors influencing future
- Overview - share by value 2010 between pumps, ponds, filtration systems,
pond accessories and water features.
- Ponds - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; % mix by value
between liners/underlay, pre-formed ponds and ' others' (e.g. concrete, raised
ponds); key influencing factors; share in liner sector between rubber and
plastic; shares in pre-formed sector between plastic and glass fibre; market
characteristics; major manufacturers; current/future trends and key
- Pumps - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; mix share in pump
sector according to pump flow rates; key influencing factors; key influencing
factors and trends.
- Filtration systems - sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; share
in filtration sector according to main sectors of filters, UV clarifiers and
combined units; key influencing factors; growth of market due to a wider
awareness of benefits of filtration; future prospects.
- Water Features - (watercourses, self-contained water features, ornamental
fountains, etc); sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; key
- Pond Accessories (treatments, lighting, pond seals and primers, fish food,
pond vacuums, etc); sales from 2005 - 2010 with forecasts to 2015; key
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Overview - major suppliers; product ranges offered; market shares.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each product sector - share by
product group, growth companies, products / market positioning.
- Review of leading suppliers - including turnover, product ranges, etc.
- Distribution structure for pond equipment - market shares by major
channels (specialist aquatic/water garden centres, garden centres, direct
selling/mail order/Internet, DIY multiples, Landscape Contractors,
- Review of key channels - major players; growing/declining sectors; key
- Future prospects for the overall pond equipment market - market size
forecasts; factors affecting this forecast; economic factors; trends in terms
of product mix, innovation and development, supply and distribution, etc.
- Key influencing factors in market - economic, social, pond ownership etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
In 2007, the UK market for pond equipment began to suffer from an adverse
economic environment and falling consumer confidence. Poor summer weather,
e.g. 2010, has also hindered this sector as generally people will be more
reluctant to install a new pond in bad weather. A further negative effect on
the pond equipment market was a poor house building and moving market, since
experienced pond owners will often install new ponds upon moving house. The
market continued to decline in 2010 when it was estimated to be worth
£33m at manufacturers selling price (msp).
The major sectors within the market: ponds, pumps, filtration systems, water
features and pond accessories saw market decline in 2010. However, some
improvement is expected from 2011, with most sectors seeing low growth and all
sectors forecast to grow from 2012.
The ponds market is the larger market by value and is estimated to be worth
£8.2m in 2010, having seen an estimated 7% decline since the previous
year. Market performance is particularly susceptible to bad weather and
suffers from notoriously unpredictable British summer weather. The market is
sub-divided into liners/underlay (52%), pre-formed ponds (41%) and other pond
The pumps market accounts for approximately £7m in 2010 and saw a lower
rate of annual decline than the ponds sector. Sales of pumps for
self-contained water features and replacement pumps have contributed to market
value. The market may be sub-divided into pumps with flow rates up to 999
litres/hour (29%), 1000-3999 litres/hour (46%) and 4000 and over litres/hour
Filtration systems is another large sector within the pond equipment market
and is estimated to be worth £6m in 2010, a decline of around 4% from
the previous year. Lower levels of pond installation have hindered the market
but improvement is forecast from 2011 when low levels of growth are expected.
The market can be divided into 3 categories: combined units (75%), filters
(21%) and UV clarifiers (4%).
Pond accessories is a fragmented market in terms of product range and is
estimated to be worth around £8m in 2010. Sales are dependent on owning
a pond, but some sectors, e.g. fish food and pond treatments, may be viewed as
essential products and are less dependent on good weather for sales.
Water features is a smaller sector of the pond equipment market and is worth
approximately £4m in 2010. In contrast to other sectors of the market,
purchase of these products is not reliant on owning a pond and the market
benefits from gift and impulse purchases.
In terms of distribution, the major channels for pond equipment are specialist
aquatic/water garden centres, followed by garden centres and then other
smaller channels of distribution such as mail order catalogues, the Internet
and landscape contractors.
Future prospects for the pond equipment market are more favourable from 2011,
with the total market forecast to remain stable before returning to growth in
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 4.4 CURRENT SITUATION
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1 New Housebuilding
- 4.5.2 New Housing by Type
- 4.5.3 House Moving Market
- 4.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS
5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 PONDS
- 5.2.1 Liners/Underlay
- 5.2.2 Pre-formed Ponds and Watercourses
- 5.2.3 Other Ponds
- 5.2.4 Complete Pond Kits
- 5.3 PUMPS
- 5.4 FILTRATION SYSTEMS
- 5.5 WATER FEATURES
- 5.6 POND ACCESSORIES
- 5.6.1 Fish Food
- 5.6.2 Pond Treatments
- 5.6.3 Pond Lighting
- 5.6.4 Other Pond Accessories
- 6.1 MAJOR SUPPLIERS
- 6.1.1 Hozelock Cyprio
- 6.1.2 Interpet Ltd/Blagdon
- 6.1.3 OAL Water Garden Products Ltd
- 6.1.4 Tetra (UK) Ltd
- 6.1.5 Oase (UK) Limited
- 6.1.6 Firestone
- 6.1.7 Laguna
- 6.1.8 Ubbink Garden BV
- 6.2 SECTOR MARKET SHARES
- 6.2.1 Liners/Underlay
- 6.2.2 Pre-formed Ponds
- 6.2.3 Pumps
- 6.2.4 Filtration Systems
- 6.2.5 Water Features
- 6.2.6 Pond Accessories
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 7.2 MAJOR CHANNELS
- 7.2.1 Specialist Aquatic/Water Garden Centres
- 7.2.2 Garden Centres
- 7.2.3 Direct Selling/Mail Order/Internet/Catalogue Stores
- 7.2.4 DIY Multiples
- 7.2.5 Landscape Contractors
- 7.2.6 Wholesalers/Distributors
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET AND FORECASTS 2005-2015 (£M MSP)
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2015
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2015
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2011 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 (' 000)
- TABLE 6 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET 2004-2011 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 7 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR (PONDS, PUMPS,
FILTRATION SYSTEMS, WATER FEATURES, POND ACCESSORIES) - BY VALUE 2010
- CHART 8 NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2005 TO 2015 -
BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS)
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS ENGLAND
- TABLE 10 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2006 TO 2010 (' 000)
- TABLE 11 MARKET FORECASTS FOR UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET 2011-2015 (£M
- CHART 12 UK POND EQUIPMENT MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR - % MIX - PONDS,
PUMPS, FILTRATION SYSTEMS, WATER FEATURES, ACCESSORIES - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 13 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF POND MARKET 2004-2015 (£M
- CHART 14 UK MARKET FOR PONDS - % MIX - LINERS/UNDERLAY, PREFORMED PONDS &
WATERCOURSES, OTHERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- CHART 15 LINERS MARKET SIZE BY MATERIAL - RUBBER / PLASTIC - 2010 BY VALUE
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR PRE-FORMED PONDS - % PLASTIC AND GLASS FIBRE MIX BY
- TABLE 17 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK PUMPS MARKET 2004-2015 (£M
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR PUMPS - % PRODUCT MIX BY FLOW RATES - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 19 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK FILTRATION SYSTEMS MARKET
2004-2015 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 20 FILTRATION SYSTEMS MARKET BY TYPE OF SYSTEM - COMBINED UNITS,
FILTERS AND UV CLARIFIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 21 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK WATER FEATURES MARKET 2006-2015
- TABLE 22 MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS OF UK POND ACCESSORIES MARKET 2004-2015
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR POND ACCESSORIES - % MIX - FISH FOODS, POND
TREATMENTS, LIGHTING, OTHERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 24 OVERALL MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 25 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PRE-FORMED POND SUPPLIERS 2010
- TABLE 26 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PUMP SUPPLIERS 2010
- TABLE 27 MARKET SHARES OF FILTRATION SYSTEMS SUPPLIERS 2010
- TABLE 28 MARKET SUPPLIERS OPERATING WITHIN THE WATER FEATURES MARKET - 2010
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR POND ACCESSORIES SUPPLIERS 2010
- TABLE 30 MAJOR SUPPLIERS OPERATING WITHIN THE POND ACCESSORIES MARKET -
- CHART 31 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR POND EQUIPMENT
- TABLE 32 DISTRIBUTION OF POND EQUIPMENT BY CHANNEL - % BY VALUE 2010
- TABLE 33 GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2009 BY VALUE