INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research has published the 13th edition of the report sis'. This report incorporates original input and primary research and represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the kitchen furniture market.
Product sectors covered include:
- KITCHEN FURNITURE
The kitchen furniture market is resilient and driven to a large and increasing extent by replacement and improvement programmes and it is this RMI sector, which is likely to provide a solid basis for market recovery over the next few years. A modest recovery in the house building and house moving sectors in 2014, followed by more significant growth in the next few years should support a more optimistic short to medium term future for the kitchen industry.
The market supply chain has evolved with the difficult market conditions and very competitive nature of this industry leading to some significant failures in the supply chain and other major changes in ownership structure, such as the acquisition of Rixonway by Nobia, to complement its Magnet and Gower brands and the amalgamation of the Paula Rosa and Manhattan brands under the ownership of the Stena Group.
Key areas of insight include:
- Estimates and forecasts for 2014 through to 2019.
- The shift towards professional installation, with most major suppliers now offering and promoting this service, supported by the growing trade-only sector.
- Improvements in materials and designs, providing a wider choice of worksurfaces, sinks and accessories in particular, together with more products adapted for elderly and infirm customers.
- Greater consumer awareness of products and fashion trends within the industry, with customers using the internet particularly to research available products, before examining potential layouts in situ at various retail outlets.
- Increasing growth in the market has benefited suppliers such as Howden's Joinery, Wren Living, the Symphony Group and Rixonway, though some suppliers, including Tesco, have abandoned the kitchen furniture market in recent years.
- The balance has swung back towards rigid products, after the dominance of flat pack furniture was eroded by the demise of MFI and others.
Some of the companies featured include:
Abet Laminati, AGA Rangemaster, Alno (UK), ARPA Industriale, Astracast, Blanco UK, Bushboard, Canburg, Carron, Commodore Kitchens, Crown Products (Kent), Dean House, Dennis & Robinson, E.I. du Pont de Nemours, Egger (UK), Formica, Franke UK, Gower, Hatt Kitchens, Howden Joinery, International Decorative Surfacing (IDS), J.T. Ellis and Co, Kronospan Holdings, KWP Interiors, Leisure Sinks, LG Hausys, Magnet, Mark Wilkinson Furniture, Mereway Kitchens, Moores Furniture Group, Neptune (Europe), Nobia Holdings UK, Omega, Pfleiderer Industrie, PJH Group, Polyrey, Prentice Furniture Manufacturers, Raventree, Regency Group, Resopal GmbH, Rixonway Kitchens, Sigma 3 (Kitchens), Smallbone of Devizes, Snaidero Group, Sylmar Technology, Symphony Group, The Richmond Cabinet Company, Westag & Getalit, Wilsonart, Wren Living.
Key areas covered in the report include:
THE KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS & SINKS MARKET
- Total Kitchen Furniture Market - market background, product mix by value.
- Furniture, Worktops and Sinks Market - historical market development, analysis of market size by value 2008-2014. Forecasts of market sizes to 2019.
- Factors influencing Market Development - house building, economic situation and house price inflation, RMI, consumer confidence, growing influence of design/style changes, population mix changes, increases in the number of second/third time buyers, decent homes programme, etc.
- Imports and Exports - developments in import and export levels to 2014, factors influencing the level of imports and the changes in exports. Dramatic rises in imports in 2007 and 2008, contrasted with sharp falls since.
- Fitted Kitchen Furniture Ownership - changes in ownership levels 2014, factors influencing current and future ownership levels e.g. new house building, choice of products now available, public housing, decent homes programme etc.
- Kitchen Appliances - annual sales of built-in and free standing products, mix by type of appliance, influence of appliance sales in fitted kitchen furniture market.
PRODUCTS & PRODUCT MIX
- Trends in Design/Materials in Kitchen Furniture - High proportion of modern and contemporary designs, greater consumer awareness; emphasis on performance and benefits, quality and features, trends in colours and finishes, long term trends in styles and designs, etc.
- Flat-Pack/Rigid Units - market share mix of each sector, quality levels of flat-pack kitchens, factors affecting mix between flat-pack and rigid kitchens, market share of flat-pack/rigid kitchens, assembly methods of kitchen furniture.
- Trends in Design/Materials in Worktops - share mix by material, colour/pattern trends in worktops, growth of non-laminate materials such as solid surfaces, wood, stone/granite, stainless steel advantages/disadvantages, new product developments.
- Trends in Design/Materials in Sinks - historic and current developments in materials, current and future trends, material share estimates, factors influencing material trends e.g. product development, fashion influences, popular colours, trends surrounding other kitchen products. Sinks increasingly designed as food preparation areas.
DISTRIBUTION / SUPPLIERS
- Analysis of Supply Structure - supplier market shares, recent developments in supplier shares.
- Profiles of Leading Suppliers - furniture, worktops, sinks suppliers, market position, analysis of activities, financial information etc.
- Distribution Channel Shares - analysis of shares by value, trends/developments in shares, growth/declining sectors.
- Role of Distributors - importance of distributors in kitchen furniture market, own branding by distributors, review of major national distributors.
KEY MARKET INFLUENCES/FUTURE PROSPECTS
- Future Prospects - forecasts through to 2019, key factors influencing future market developments, performance of the economy, housing market, consumer confidence, market factors, and future growth prospects.
- Housing Market - analysis of developments in new house building and house moving activity, influence of house prices and consumer confidence.
- Population Profile - analysis of changing profile and implications for kitchen furniture sales. Personal Disposable Income and Savings - developments in ratios and impact on consumer durable purchasing.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SUMMARY
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. STERLING
- 3.6. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.7. CONCLUSIONS
4. THE UK FURNITURE MARKET, HOUSING INFLUENCES
- 4.1. OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.2. CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.3. HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- 4.3.1. Housebuilding
- 4.3.2. House Moving
- 4.3.3. Household Size
5. THE UK KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET
- 5.1. MARKET DEFINITION
- 5.2. OVERALL MARKET SIZE
- 5.3. OVERALL MARKET TRENDS
- 5.4. OVERALL PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1. Kitchen Furniture
- 5.4.2. Worktops
- 5.4.3. Sinks
- 5.5. IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- 5.6. HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP
- 5.7. PURCHASING SECTORS
6. PRODUCT MIX
- 6.1. INTRODUCTION
- 6.2. PRODUCT DEFINITIONS
- 6.3. KITCHEN FURNITURE
- 6.3.1. Fitted and Non-Fitted
- 6.3.2. Flat Pack and Rigid
- 6.3.3. Installation
- 6.3.4. Design Trends, Materials and Colours
- 6.3.5. Kitchen Furniture Components
- 6.4. WORKTOPS
- 6.4.1. Product Types
- 6.4.2. Material Trends and Colours
- 6.5. SINKS
- 6.5.1. Product Types
- 6.5.2. Material Trends
- 6.6. ACCESSORIES
7. KITCHEN APPLIANCES
- 7.1. INTRODUCTION
- 7.2. MARKET SIZE
- 7.3. PRODUCT TRENDS
- 7.3.1. Cooking Appliances
- 7.3.2. Laundry Appliances
- 7.3.3. Dishwashers
- 7.3.4. Refrigeration Appliances
- 8.1. MARKET SHARE
- 8.2. KEY SUPPLIERS OF KITCHEN FURNITURE
- 8.3. KEY SUPPLIERS OF WORKTOPS
- 8.4. KEY SUPPLIERS OF SINKS
- 9.1. STRUCTURE
- 9.2. BUILDERS' MERCHANTS
- 9.3. RETAIL SPECIALISTS
- 9.4. DIY MULTIPLES
- 9.5. DIRECT CONTRACT
- 9.6. FURNITURE MULTIPLES
- 9.7. OTHERS
- 9.8. DISTRIBUTORS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-19 BY VALUE (MSP)
- TABLE 2: FORECASTS FOR THE KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET 2014-2019 - FURNITURE, WORKTOPS, SINKS (VALUE AND % CHANGE)
- TABLE 3: GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 4: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 7: THE UK MARKET FOR OVERALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2007-2014 (£M MSP)
- CHART 8: UK MARKET MIX OF ALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE - VALUE (%) 2002, 2008 & 2014
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2009-2019 - GREAT BRITAIN (000'S DWELLINGS)
- CHART 10: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2001-2014 BY TYPE OF DWELLING - %
- TABLE 11: NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK 2006-2014 (000'S)
- TABLE 12: AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016
- TABLE 13: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS AND SINKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 BY VALUE (MSP £M)
- CHART 14: PRODUCT MIX IN THE KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET 2014 (FURNITURE, WORKTOPS, SINKS) - BY VALUE
- CHART 15: MIX OF KITCHEN FURNITURE PRODUCTS BY VALUE 1999-2014
- CHART 16: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 1996-2014 (£M MSP)
- CHART 17: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF FITTED KITCHEN FURNITURE 1985-2014 (%)
- CHART 18: MIX OF FITTED KITCHEN SALES BY PURCHASING SECTOR - NEW BUILD, REPLACEMENT, NEW PURCHASE, BY VALUE (%) 2014
- CHART 19: MIX OF FITTED & NON-FITTED KITCHEN FURNITURE - 2014 BY VALUE
- CHART 20: FLAT PACK/RIGID FURNITURE SHARE BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 21: UK DOMESTIC WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE - WOOD, LAMINATE, STONE, SOLID SURFACE ETC (%) 2014
- CHART 22: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINK MARKET - PRODUCT TYPE BY VALUE (SINGLE, TWIN ETC %) 2014
- CHART 23: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINK MARKET MATERIAL MIX - STAINLESS STEEL, CERAMIC, COMPOSITE ETC BY VALUE (%) 2014
- TABLE 24: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET SIZE £M BUILT IN AND FREESTANDING (2012-2014)
- CHART 25: UK FREESTANDING APPLIANCE MARKET MIX BY VALUE - 2014
- CHART 26: UK BUILT-IN APPLIANCE MARKET MIX BY VALUE - 2014
- TABLE 27: MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR KITCHEN FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 2014 - BY VALUE
- TABLE 28: THE MARKET FOR KITCHEN FURNITURE BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL - 2014 SHARE BY VALUE (%)