Product Code: frn1
Introduction and Overview
The report 'Domestic Kitchen Furniture Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' is in its 14th edition. The growth of open plan kitchen / dining room designs has driven a shift to higher quality demands from consumers, as the kitchen is often a centerpiece in a home, driving a trend to high gloss finishes, handle-less doors / drawers and added value worktops such as granite or solid surface materials.
Product sectors covered include:
- Kitchen Furniture
Key areas of insight include:
- Estimates and forecasts for 2017 through to 2021.
- The shift towards professional installation, with most major suppliers now offering and promoting this service, supported by the growing trade only sector.
- Improvements in materials and designs, providing a wider choice of work surfaces, sinks and accessories in particular, together with more products adapted for elderly and infirm customers.
- Greater consumer awareness of products and fashion trends within the industry, with customers using the internet particularly to research available products, before examining potential layouts in situ at various retail outlets.
- Growth in the market has benefited suppliers, such as Howdens Joinery, Wren Living, and the Symphony Group.others.
Some of the companies featured include:
AGA Rangemaster Ltd, Astracast, Franke U.K. Holding Ltd, Blanco UK,Nobia Holdings UK Ltd (Including Magnet, Gower Furniture, Rixonway Kitchens and Commodore Kitchens), The Symphony Group plc, Wren Living Ltd, Dennis & Robinson Ltd (Paula Rosa/Manhattan), Moores Furniture Group Ltd, Omega plc, Crown Products (Kent) Ltd, J & J Ormerod Ltd (JJO), Alno (UK) Ltd, Formica, Resopal, Dupont/Corian, Polyrey, Abet, ARPA, Westag & Getalit, Wilsonart, Bushboard, Kronospan, Egger, GEC Anderson and Pfleiderer Industrie, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), Deralam Laminates Ltd, C.F Anderson Timber Products Ltd, Hills Panel Products Ltd (HPP), Blackheath Products Ltd, Plasman (Laminate Products) Ltd, PWS Distributors Ltd, Potter Cowan, GEC Anderson Ltd, Reginox UK Ltd, SCD Luisina, Schock, Villeroy and Boch, Smeg and Pyramis
- Total kitchen furniture market - market background, product mix by value.
- Furniture, worktops and sinks market - historical market development, analysis of market size by value 2012-2016. Forecasts of market sizes to 2021.
- Factors influencing market development - house building, economy, house price inflation, RMI, consumer confidence, growing influence of design/style changes, population mix changes, increases in the number of second/third time buyers, decent homes programme, etc.
- Imports and exports - developments in import and export levels to 2016, factors influencing the level of imports and the changes in exports.
- Fitted kitchen furniture ownership - changes in ownership levels 2016, factors influencing current and future ownership levels e.g. new house building, choice of products now available, public housing.
- Kitchen appliances - annual sales of built-in and free standing products, mix by type of appliance, influence of appliance sales in fitted kitchen furniture market.
Products & Product Mix
- Trends in design/materials in kitchen furniture - high proportion of modern and contemporary designs, greater consumer awareness; emphasis on performance and benefits, quality and features, trends in colours and finishes, long term trends in styles and designs, etc.
- Flat-Pack/rigid units - market share mix, quality levels of flat-pack kitchens, factors affecting mix between flat-pack and rigid kitchens, market share of flat-pack/rigid kitchens, assembly methods of kitchen furniture.
- Trends in design/materials in worktops - share mix by material, colour/pattern trends in worktops, growth of non-laminate materials such as solid surfaces, wood, stone/granite, stainless steel advantages/disadvantages, new product developments.
- Trends in Design/Materials in Sinks - historic / current developments in materials, current and future trends, material share estimates, factors influencing material trends e.g. product development, fashion influences, popular colours, trends in other kitchen products. Sinks designed as 'food preparation areas'.
- Analysis of supply structure - supplier market shares, recent developments in supplier shares.
- Profiles of leading suppliers - furniture, worktops, sinks suppliers, market position, analysis of activities, financial information etc.
- Distribution channel shares - shares by value, trends/developments in shares, growth/declining sectors.
- Role of distributors - importance of distributors in kitchen furniture market, own branding by distributors, review of major national distributors.
Key Market Influences/Market Prospects
- Market prospects - forecasts through to 2021, key factors influencing future market developments, performance of the economy, housing market, consumer confidence, market factors, and growth prospects.
- Housing market - analysis of developments in new house building and house moving activity, influence of house prices and consumer confidence.
- Population profile - analysis of changing profile and implications for kitchen furniture sales. Personal Disposable Income and Savings - developments in PDI ratios and impact on consumer durable purchasing.
The kitchen furniture market is resilient and driven to a large and increasing extent by replacement and improvement programmes and it is this RMI sector, which is likely to provide a solid basis for market recovery over the next few years. Strong performance in the house building and house moving sectors has been followed by more moderate growth in 2016, with RMI output reflecting a similar, if more subdued, trend. This has created a positive environment for the kitchen furniture market.
Within the supply chain, margins are likely to be squeezed by the increasing cost of imported raw materials while energy costs have also started to rise. Kitchen furniture manufacturers have a good record in absorbing cost increases, but it seems inevitable that some of these increases will be passed on. Imports have fallen, reflecting a fall in the share of independent specialists. Future growth in the market may support a higher level of imports, although UK manufacturers are increasingly competitive in terms of pricing and design innovation.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. THE UK FURNITURE MARKET, HOUSING INFLUENCES
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- 4.3.1 Housebuilding
- 4.3.2 House Moving
- 4.3.3 Household Size
- 4.3.4 Private Rental Market
5. THE UK KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 5.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE
- 5.3 MARKET TRENDS
- 5.4 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1 Kitchen Furniture
- 5.4.2 Worktops
- 5.4.3 Sinks
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- 5.6 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP
- 5.7 PURCHASING SECTORS
6. PRODUCT MIX
- 6.1 INTRODUCTION
- 6.2 PRODUCT DEFINITIONS
- 6.3 KITCHEN FURNITURE
- 6.3.1 Fitted and Non-Fitted
- 6.3.2 Flat Pack and Rigid
- 6.3.3 Installation
- 6.3.4 Design Trends, Materials and Colours
- 6.3.5 Kitchen Furniture Components
- 6.4 WORKTOPS
- 6.4.1 Product Types
- 6.4.2 Material Trends and Colours
- 6.5 SINKS
- 6.5.1 Product Types
- 6.5.2 Material Trends
- 6.6 ACCESSORIES
7. KITCHEN APPLIANCES
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE
- 7.2.1 Product Trends
- 7.2.2 Suppliers
- 8.1 MARKET SHARE
- 8.2 KEY SUPPLIERS OF KITCHEN FURNITURE
- 8.3 KEY SUPPLIERS OF WORKTOPS
- 8.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF SINKS
- 9.1 STRUCTURE
- 9.2 BUILDERS MERCHANTS
- 9.3 RETAIL SPECIALISTS
- 9.4 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES
- 9.5 DIRECT CONTRACT
- 9.6 FURNITURE MULTIPLES
- 9.7 OTHERS
- 9.8 DISTRIBUTORS
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET AND FORECASTS 2012-21 BY VALUE (MSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 17
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: THE UK MARKET FOR OVERALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2012-2016 (£M MSP)
- CHART 7: UK MARKET MIX OF ALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE - VALUE (%) 2002, 2008 & 2016
- TABLE 8: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000S DWELLINGS)
- CHART 10: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2020
- TABLE 11: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020
- TABLE 12: AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016
- CHART 13: GROWTH OF THE PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2014-2025 (NO OF DWELLINGS - M)
- TABLE 14: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS AND SINKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 BY VALUE (MSP £M)
- CHART 15: PRODUCT MIX IN THE KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET 2016 AND 2020 (FURNITURE, WORKTOPS, SINKS) - BY VALUE
- TABLE 16: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 2012-2016 (£M MSP)
- CHART 17: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF FITTED KITCHEN FURNITURE 1992-2016 (%)
- CHART 18: MIX OF FITTED KITCHEN SALES BY PURCHASING SECTOR - NEW BUILD, REPLACEMENT, NEW PURCHASE, BY VALUE (%) 2016
- CHART 19: MIX OF FITTED & NON-FITTED KITCHEN FURNITURE - 2016 BY VALUE
- CHART 20: FLAT PACK/RIGID FURNITURE SHARE BY VALUE 2016
- CHART 21: UK DOMESTIC WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE - WOOD, LAMINATE, STONE, SOLID SURFACE ETC (%) 2016
- CHART 22: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINK MARKET - PRODUCT TYPE BY VALUE (SINGLE, TWIN ETC %) 2016
- CHART 23: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINK MARKET MATERIAL MIX - STAINLESS STEEL, CERAMIC, COMPOSITE ETC BY VALUE (%) 2016
- TABLE 24: UK KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET BY VALUE 2012-2016 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 25: UK KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET BY VALUE (COOKING, REFRIGERATION, DISHWASHING, LAUNDRY) 2016 (£M DSP)
- TABLE 26: MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR KITCHEN FURNITURE SUPPLIERS2016 - BY VALUE
- TABLE 27: THE MARKET FOR KITCHEN FURNITURE BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL - 2016 SHARE BY VALUE (%)