Product Code: bld14
AMA Research have published the 10th edition of the 'Roofing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which provides a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the market for roof coverings. Focusing on market size, trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, this market report provides detailed insight into the different roof covering methods across both residential and non-residential applications.
Key products covered:
- Roof tiles and slates - including concrete tiles, clay tiles, natural slates, artificial slates and fibre cement slates.
- Flat roofing systems - bitumen membrane system felts, single ply membranes, liquid roofing systems.
- Profiled metal roofing systems - built-up profiled steel and aluminium panels, stainless steel and aluminium composite panels, standing seam roofing constitutes.
- Rooflights - in-plane and out-of-plane.
- Niche roofing products - shingles, fully supported metal roofing, green roofs etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance from 2010-2014, with forecasts to 2019. Review of the key factors influencing the overall market and those influencing the individual product sectors.
- Detailed review of roofing product groups - roof tiles and slates, flat roofing systems, profiled metal roofing systems, rooflights and niche roofing products - market size by value and volume, key trends and market influences, product mixes.
- Review of key suppliers for each product group and market shares by sector.
- Distribution review - distribution structure, key channels such as roofing merchants, specialists, builders merchants, DIY multiples, direct supply etc. Key players in each distribution channel.
- Overview of the roofing contracting sector - number of companies, end use sector mix, contractor profiles.
Some of the companies included:
Alumasc Exterior Building Products, Arcelor Mittal, Ash & Lacy Building Systems, Bauder, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, CA Group, Cembrit, Chesterfelt, Dreadnought Tiles, Duplus Architectural Systems, Euro Clad, Fatra UK, Firth Steels, Forticrete, Garland Company UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hanson UK, Hertalan UK, Hinton Perry & Davenhill, Icopal, IKO UK, Jet Cox, Keymer Tiles, Kingspan Group, Langley Waterproofing Systems, Lindab, Marley Eternit, Monier Redland, Protan UK, Raven Roofing & Building Supplies, Renolit Waterproofing, RigiSystems, Rose Roofing, Russell Roof Tiles, Sandtoft Roof Tiles, SIG, Sika, Soprema UK, SSQ UK, Tata Steel Europe, Tor Coatings, Ubbink (UK), Umicore, Welsh Slate.
Key areas covered in the report include:
THE MARKET FOR ROOFING
- UK roofing market - market definition, size and product mix. Performance and changes in market in recent years, market trends since 2010.
- Review of the key drivers influencing the market -product issues, legislative and regulatory developments, construction and housebuilding output, skills shortages etc.
- Future prospects - performance in 2015/16 and forecasts to 2019, key factors influencing future trends, key areas of growth/decline.
- Product groups reviewed - product mix- roofing tiles, membranes & felts, metal roofing and roof glazing.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mixes, market sizes and forecasts to 2019.
- UK market for roofing tiles - size by value 2009-2019, key influencing factors, prospects. Markets for concrete tiles, clay tiles, natural slats and fibre slates by value 2009-2019. Volumes 2009-2014. Key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for flat roofing membranes - size by value 2009-2019. Product mix - bitumen felts, single ply membranes, liquid roofing - key issues, areas of growth, key applications, import trends, key suppliers and market shares.
- UK market for profiled metal roofing - size by value 2009-2019, key influencing factors & prospects, product mix (composite, twin skin, single sheets, standing seam), suppliers & market shares.
- UK market for rooflights - size by value 2009-2019, trends, key suppliers.
- Niche sectors - shingles, green roofing, fully supported metal roofing - estimates of market size, key suppliers etc.
- Distribution mix by value - roofing merchants, direct supply, specialists, builders' merchants, DIY multiples, others.
- Analysis of channels and identification of key players in each sector - roofing merchants, builders merchants, direct etc.
- Analysis of structure of contracting sector - by number of enterprises, turnovers and employee numbers.
- Application mix by value - domestic, commercial and industrial; newbuild, RMI.
- Key contractor reviews - over 40 companies e.g. Briggs Amasco, Avonside, Prater, Lakesmere, etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The roofing market as a whole is estimated to have grown by around 4.5% in 2014, following a period of relatively poor performance, with a decline in 2012 and a modest increase in 2013. Driven largely by the Help to Buy schemes and a shift back from flats to houses, demand for roof tiles has outpaced supply over the past few years. Over the short to medium term, reasonable volume growth is expected, largely driven by private housebuilding activity.
Roof tiles account for the largest share of the market by value, with concrete tiles constituting the largest sub-sector by both value and volume. Clay tiles are also significant, while fibre cement and natural slates occupying relatively small niches. Housebuilding and domestic re-roofing are the largest applications although commercial usage is also important. Profiled metal roofing is almost as large in value terms, although applications are almost exclusively limited to warehousing, industrial buildings, airport structures, waste management facilities and retail 'sheds'.
Flat roof membranes & felts account for around 15%, with reinforced bitumen membranes dominating this sector. Single ply membranes are increasing in popularity and account for almost a third of the market. In the longer term these products are expected to show higher than average growth. The rooflights sector is also an important sector in terms of value while other hard-to-quantify niche markets such as fully supported metal roofing, bitumen & cedar shingles, account for smaller shares.
The distribution of roofing materials varies significantly between different product sectors. Builders' merchants and roofing merchants are the key routes to market for suppliers of concrete and clay tiles. As the majority of roofing slates are imported, independent importer and distribution networks are the main channels. Imports are largely limited to natural slates, which dominate this particular sub-sector of the UK roof coverings market. In the profiled sheets and tiles sectors, both import and export levels are low. With flat roofing systems mainly used on commercial buildings, the main channels are roofing merchants and direct sales. Builders' merchants typically only supply bitumen felts for RMI and extension projects.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. THE UK ROOF COVERING PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3 KEY MARKET DRIVERS
- 4.3.1 General Construction Activity
- 4.3.2 Flats Construction Trends
- 4.3.3 Skills Shortages
- 4.3.4 Changes to Part L
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX
5. ROOF TILES AND SLATES
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIXES
- 5.3.1 Overview
- 5.3.2 Concrete Roof Tiles
- 5.3.3 New Clay Roof Tiles
- 5.3.4 Natural Worked Slates
- 5.3.5 Fibre Cement Slates
- 5.4. SUPPLY
- 5.4.1 Market Shares
- 5.4.2 Key Suppliers
6. FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3.1 Overview
- 6.3.2 Bitumen Membranes
- 6.3.3 Single Ply Membranes
- 6.3.4 Liquid Roofing
- 6.3.5 Other Products
- 6.4 SUPPLY
- 6.4.1 Market Shares
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers
7. PROFILED METAL ROOFING PANELS
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.4 SUPPLY
- 7.4.1 Market Shares
- 7.4.2 Key Suppliers
- 8.1 DEFINITION
- 8.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 8.3 SUPPLY
9. NICHE ROOFING PRODUCTS
- 9.1 SHINGLES
- 9.2 FULLY SUPPORTED METAL ROOFING PRODUCTS
- 9.3 GREEN ROOFS
- 10.1 OVERVIEW
- 10.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 10.2.1 Roofing Merchants
- 10.2.2 Builders' Merchants
- 10.2.3 Other Specialist Distributors
- 10.2.4 Direct Supply
11. ROOFING CONTRACTING
- 11.1 STRUCTURE
- 11.2 TYPE OF WORK UNDERTAKEN
- 11.3 LEADING ROOFING CONTRACTORS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK ROOFING MARKET 2009-2019 BY VALUE (MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR ROOF COVERING PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019
- CHART 7 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2010-2019
- CHART 8 UK HOUSING COMPLETIONS - ('000 DWELLINGS) 2010 - 2019
- CHART 9 NON-HOUSING CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 10 NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND ('000S) 2007/08 -2018/19
- TABLE 11 UK ROOFING CONTRACTING INDUSTRY -NUMBER OF FIRMS AND TRADESMEN
- CHART 12 PRODUCT MIX UK ROOFING SYSTEMS MARKET % BY VALUE
- TABLE 13 UK MARKET FOR ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019
- CHART 14 UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY TYPE BY VALUE
- CHART 15 UK ROOF TILES % MIX BY END USE SECTOR
- TABLE 16 UK MARKET FOR CONCRETE ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019
- TABLE 17 GB MARKET FOR CONCRETE ROOF TILES - BY VOLUME (DELIVERIES, '000 M2 ) 2009 -2014
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR NEW CLAY ROOF TILES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009-2019
- TABLE 19 UK MARKET FOR NEW CLAY ROOFING TILES BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M2) 2009-14
- TABLE 20 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CLAY ROOFING TILES BY NUMBER OF UNITS AND BY VALUE (£M) 2010-2014
- TABLE 21 UK MARKET FOR WORKED ROOF SLATES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR NEW WORKED ROOF SLATES BY AREA INSTALLED (M2) 2009-2014
- TABLE 23 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN WORKED SLATE BY VALUE (£M) 2010-2014
- TABLE 24 UK MARKET FOR FIBRE CEMENT SLATES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019
- CHART 25 MARKET SHARES OF ROOF TILE SUPPLIERS
- CHART 26 UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET FOR WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010-2019
- CHART 27 UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES FITTED (MILLION M2) 2010 -2019
- CHART 28 FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES PRODUCT MIX BY TYPE BY AREA INSTALLED
- CHART 29 UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR BITUMEN MEMBRANES BY FIXING METHOD BY AREA INSTALLED 2014
- CHART 30 UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED.
- TABLE 31 UK MARKET SHARES FOR SUPPLIERS OF FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS
- CHART 32 IMPORTS OF BITUMEN FELTS BY COUNTRY, VOLUME AND VALUE
- TABLE 33 UK MARKET FOR PROFILED METAL ROOFING SYSTEMS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2009 -2019
- TABLE 34 UK MARKET FOR METAL ROOF PANEL SYSTEMS BY AREA INSTALLED 2009 - 2014
- TABLE 35 UK MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS OF METAL ROOFING
- TABLE 36 UK MARKET FOR ROOFLIGHTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019
- CHART 37 OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION WITHIN THE UK ROOFING MARKET
- CHART 38 TYPICAL OVERALL DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR ROOFING PRODUCTS BY VALUE
- TABLE 39 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ROOFING ACTIVITIES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND 2014
- TABLE 40 MIX OF DOMESTIC AND COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL WORK UNDERTAKEN IN 2014 - SHARE BY VALUE
- CHART 41 MIX BY TYPE OF WORK UNDERTAKEN BY ROOFING CONTRACTORS (HOUSEBUILDING, NON-HOUSING NEWBUILD, RMI) BY VALUE
- CHART 42 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ROOFING ACTIVITIES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND (%) 2003-2013