Product Code: bld59
AMA Research have published the 6th edition of the 'Building Insulation Products Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This edition has been fully updated to cover the latest information on government energy efficiency policy, and includes many charts and tables with in-depth quantitative analysis in relation to specific key applications i.e. lofts, cavity walls, solid walls and flat roofs.
Key issues covered:
- Forecasts of market developments - assessment of Green Deal and ECO, quantification of market potential to 2019.
- Detailed assessment of recent market trends - i.e. demand generated by Green Deal and ECO, the recovering housebuilding market.
- Market overview - details of market size, factors influencing the market and key players.
- Analysis by product group - product mix and influences in the main insulation product sectors.
- End use sector review - details of key applications and end-use sectors for building insulation.
Key areas of insight include:
- Assessment of market potential by application and impact of The Green Deal & Energy Companies Obligation on insulation products market.
- Detailed reviews of key markets in 2014 e.g. lofts, cavity walls, solid walls and flat roofs. Evaluation of impact of Green Deal & ECO compared to previous government programmes.
- Changing mix of the different material types of insulation products.
- Review of key suppliers, distributors and installers.
Some of the companies included:
A & M Energy Solutions, Armacell UK, Carillion Energy Services, CCF, Cellecta, Domestic & General Insulation, Dow Building Solutions, Dyson Energy Services, Encon Insulation, Enerwarm, Excel Industries, FGF, Hodgson & Hodgson, Instafoam and Fibre, Instagroup, Jablite, Kay-Metzeler, Kingspan Group, Knauf Insulation, Mark Group, Minster Insulation, Novostrat, Pittsburgh Corning UK, Promat UK, Recticel Insulation Products, Rockwool UK, Saint Gobain, SIG , Superglass Insulation, Thermabead, Thermal Economics, URSA UK, Vita Cellular Foams (VCF), Xtratherm UK.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Overall market size & trends in 2014 - analysis of impact of Green Deal & ECO; assessment of recent trends in energy prices & other market drivers e.g. changes to Building Regulations Part L.
- Overall market forecasts to 2019 - assessment of probable impacts of the end of the Green Deal and long-term uncertainty regarding the Energy Companies Obligation plus any likely future energy issues for users.
- By material by value - i.e. glass wool, stone wool, urethane, polystyrene, phenolic foam etc.
- Overview of key materials - identification of key trends and supplier shares.
- Lofts: profile of homes with lofts in GB; trends in retrofit by area installed, Green Deal & ECO measures & material mix; housebuilding market 2009-2014; retrofit market potential.
- Cavity walls: profile of homes with cavity walls; trends in retrofit sector by area installed, Green Deal & ECO measures & material mix; housebuilding market 2009-2014; retrofit market potential.
- Solid walls: profile of homes with solid walls; trends in retrofit sector by area installed, Green Deal & ECO measures; retrofit market potential.
- Flat roofs: profile of buildings with flat roofs, mixes by end-use & materials, market potential.
- Other including ground floors, intermediate floor, metal cladding - market overviews.
END USE MARKETS
- General mix between domestic retrofit, housebuilding and non-domestic sectors.
- Review of domestic retrofit: profile of housing stock; analysis of recent trends i.e. Green Deal & ECO market mix by application; market potential for lofts, cavity & solid wall insulation.
- Review of housebuilding profile of housebuilding stock; recent trends; market mixes.
- Review of non-domestic - recent trends and assessment of potential demand for retrofit insulation in existing commercial premises.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Supplier review - market shares & trends, company profiles.
- Distributor review - channel shares, company profiles.
- Contractor review - market shares, company profiles.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The UK market for building insulation has recovered somewhat in 2014 as housebuilding levels have continued to rise and initiative such as the Green Deal and ECO has gained some momentum. This followed a significant downturn in 2013 due to a fall in government-subsidised retrofitted installation activity, which saw the total market value fall by around 7%. Although there has been growth in demand for insulation products from increasing levels of new housebuilding and in non-domestic building, the Green Deal and Energy Company Obligation (ECO) have so far only generated a fraction of the levels of domestic installation activity of previous government initiatives such as CERT and CESP, which ended in 2012.
Other key market influences include Building Regulations and energy prices. The Building Regulations Part L 2013 were updated with an aim of reducing carbon emissions by a further 6% on top of the 2010 standard for new domestic buildings, and by 9% for new non-domestic buildings. Although crude oil and gas prices have fallen recently, over the longer-term energy prices are forecast to rise, which is likely to result in higher end-product prices for insulation products.
PUR / PIR products now have the largest market share of insulation products, accounting for ~40% by value in 2014. By end-user, despite the dramatic fall in demand under the Green Deal and ECO, the most important market remains domestic retrofit, which accounts for ~40% by area installed and the key areas of demand by application have been cavity walls and lofts. The non-domestic market is also significant and mainly consists of insulation for flat roofs and site-built metal cladding and roofing systems. The share for new housebuilding is higher than in recent years due to steadily rising numbers of housing completions.
The key supply route for insulation products are the specialist (interiors) distributors. Builders' merchants account for approximately 15% of the market, the remainder being split between direct sales to installers, direct sales to external wall insulation systems companies, converters and DIY stores. The installation market is polarised between a small number of national companies and many regional and local independent firms. The leading contractors typically provide other energy efficiency services as well as insulation work.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 1.3 ACRONYMS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 EU / Government Initiatives
- 4.3.2 The Building Regulations Part L 2013
- 4.3.3 Energy Prices
- 4.3.4 Housebuilding and Construction
- 4.4 INSULATION MARKET PROSPECTS
5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.1 OVERVIEW OF BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- 5.2 BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- 5.2.1 Glass Wool
- 5.2.2 Stone Wool
- 5.2.3 Polyurethane (PUR) / Polyisocyanurate (PIR) Foam
- 5.2.4 Expanded and Extruded Polystyrene Foam (EPS and XPS)
- 5.2.5 Other
- 5.3 PRE-FABRICATED/OFFSITE AND COMPOSITE PRODUCTS
6 MARKET MIX BY END-USE SECTORS
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.2 DOMESTIC RMI/RETROFIT
- 6.2.1 Housing Stock
- 6.2.2 Recent Market Trends
- 6.2.3 Domestic Retrofit Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 6.3 HOUSEBUILDING
- 6.3.1 Profile of Housebuilding
- 6.3.2 Recent Market Trends
- 6.3.3 Housebuilding Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 6.4 NON-DOMESTIC BUILDINGS
- 6.4.1 Non- Domestic Building Stock
- 6.4.2 Market Trends
- 6.4.3 Non-domestic Buildings Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 LOFTS / PITCHED ROOFS
- 7.2.1 Profile of Dwellings with Lofts
- 7.2.2 Recent Trends in Loft Insulation
- 7.2.3 Market Prospects for Loft Insulation
- 7.3 FLAT ROOFS
- 7.3.1 Profile of Buildings with Flat Roofs
- 7.3.2 Recent Trends in Flat Roof Insulation
- 7.3.3 Market Prospects for Flat Roof Insulation
- 7.4 CAVITY WALLS
- 7.4.1 Profile of Dwellings with Cavity Walls
- 7.4.2 Recent Trends in Domestic Cavity Wall Insulation
- 7.4.3 Market Prospects for Domestic Cavity Wall Insulation
- 7.5 DOMESTIC WALLS WITHOUT CAVITIES
- 7.5.1 Profile of Dwellings Without Cavity Walls
- 7.5.2 Recent Trends in Domestic Solid Wall Insulation
- 7.5.3 Market Prospects for Solid Wall Insulation
- 7.6 OTHER APPLICATIONS
- 7.6.1 Ground Floor Thermal Insulation
- 7.6.2 Acoustic Insulation
- 7.6.3 Site Built Metal Cladding and Roofing Systems
- 8.1 MANUFACTURERS & SUPPLIERS MARKET SHARES
- 8.2 PROFILES OF MAJOR INSULATION MANUFACTURERS
- 9.1 OVERVIEW
- 9.2 DISTRIBUTOR PROFILES
- 9.3 INSTALLERS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK BUILDING INSULATION MARKET BY VALUE £M 2009-2019
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2009 TO 2014
- TABLE 7 AVERAGE MONTHLY INSULATION MEASURES UNDER GOVERNMENT SCHEMES, 2009 TO 2014
- CHART 8 UK INDICES FOR OVERALL AVERAGE ANNUAL ENERGY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY (EXCLUDING THE CLIMATE CHANGE LEVY) AND AVERAGE ANNUAL INSULATION PRODUCT PRICES (2010 = 100) 2010 TO 2014
- TABLE 9 TOTAL INSULATION MEASURES DELIVERED UNDER GREEN DEAL AND ECO - JUNE 2015
- TABLE 10 BUILDING REGULATION AMENDMENTS IMPACTING ON THE BUILDING INSULATION MARKET
- TABLE 11 BUILDING REGULATIONS PART L 2013 NOTIONAL BUILDING SPECIFICATION VS LIMITING U-VALUES BY INSULATION APPLICATION
- CHART 12 UK FUEL PRICE INDICES FOR THE INDUSTRIAL SECTOR IN CURRENT TERMS (EXCLUDING THE CLIMATE CHANGE LEVY) 2010 = 100 2010 TO 2014
- TABLE 13 GB HOUSING STARTS BY SECTOR 2009-2014 (VOLUME)
- TABLE 14 UK INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2014 TO 2019
- CHART 15 MIX OF BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS BY MATERIAL % BY VALUE - POLYSTYRENE, PHENOLIC, MINERAL, PUR ETC.
- CHART 16 UK SUPPLIERS OF GLASS WOOL ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES
- CHART 17 UK SUPPLIERS OF PUR / PIR BOARDS ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES
- TABLE 18 MAIN PRE-FABRICATED BUILDING PRODUCTS INCORPORATING INSULATION
- CHART 19 UK MARKET SHARE - INSULATION PRODUCTS BY VOLUME BY END USE SECTOR
- CHART 20 GB DWELLING STOCK BY TYPE OF PROPERTY BY % AGE BAND
- CHART 21 GB DWELLING STOCK BY TYPE OF PROPERTY BY % OF NUMBERS OF UNITS
- CHART 22 TOTAL NUMBERS OF INSULATION MEASURES DELIVERED UNDER GREEN DEAL AND ECO BY TYPE (LOFTS, SOLID WALLS, ETC). TOTAL 1,098K INSTALLATIONS
- CHART 23 UK GB RETROFIT INSULATION MARKET BY APPLICATION BY AREA INSTALLED. INSTALLED VOLUME = ~43 MILLION M
- TABLE 24 GB POTENTIAL FOR INSULATION MEASURES IN EXISTING PROPERTIES AS OF MARCH 2015
- CHART 25 UK NEW HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR INSULATION BY AREA INSTALLED BY APPLICATION - GROUND, LOFTS, EXTERNAL, INTERMEDIATE.
- CHART 26 DWELLINGS IN GB BY LEVELS OF ROOF INSULATION BY TENURE - 27.1 MILLION DWELLINGS
- TABLE 27 GB RETROFIT MARKET FOR LOFT INSULATION PRODUCTS 2009 - 2014
- CHART 28 UK RETROFIT LOFT MARKET FOR INSULATION BY TYPE OF MEASURES BY AREA INSTALLED 2014 - POPULATION ~16 MILLION M
- CHART 29 UK RETROFIT LOFT MARKET FOR INSULATION BY MATERIAL BY VOLUME 2014 - POPULATION ~16 MILLION M
- TABLE 30 GB HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR LOFT INSULATION PRODUCTS 2009 TO 2014
- TABLE 31 SUMMARY OF LOFT INSULATION LEVELS IN GB AT MARCH 2015
- TABLE 32 STOCK OF FLATS IN UK, ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND 2013/14 - TOTAL, PRIVATELY OWNED AND SOCIAL HOUSING
- CHART 33 UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR INSULATION BY PRODUCT TYPE (PIR, STONEWOOL, XPS ETC) BY AREA INSTALLED
- CHART 34 DWELLINGS IN GB WITH CAVITY WALLS % MARCH 2015 - 19.4 MILLION DWELLINGS WITH CAVITY WALLS
- TABLE 35 GB RETROFIT MARKET FOR CAVITY INSULATION PRODUCTS 2009 - DEC 2014
- CHART 36 UK RETROFIT CAVITY WALL INSULATION MARKET BY MATERIAL BY VOLUME
- TABLE 37 GB HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR CAVITY WALL INSULATION PRODUCTS BY AREA INSTALLED 2009 TO 2014
- TABLE 38 SUMMARY OF CAVITY WALL INSULATION LEVELS IN GB AT MARCH 2015, INSULATED, UNCERTAIN, LIMITED POTENTIAL, EASY TO TREAT ETC.
- CHART 39 % GB DWELLINGS WITH AND WITHOUT CAVITY WALL INSULATION AS AT MARCH 2015 - CIRCA 7.99 MILLION DWELLINGS WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS
- CHART 40 7.99M DWELLINGS IN GB WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS - % BY TYPE OF WALL CONSTRUCTION, SOLID DETACHED, SOLID SEMI, SOLID TERRACED, LATH / PLASTER ETC
- CHART 41 GB 7.99M DWELLINGS WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS BY DATE RANGE BY %
- TABLE 42 ENGLAND - PROPORTIONS OF SOLID WALLED DWELLINGS VS CAVITY WALLED DWELLINGS BY BROAD LOCATION
- TABLE 43 GB RETROFIT (GREEN DEAL & ECOSP) MARKET FOR SOLID WALL INSULATION 2009 - 2014
- TABLE 44 UK TOTAL MARKET SHARES BY VALUE
- CHART 45 MAJOR DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- CHART 46 BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION - ESTIMATED % SHARES BY VALUE