Product Code: Bld1
AMA Research have published the 11th edition of the ' Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis '. This unique report contains original primary research and represents an informed and up-to-date review of this fragmented market, which has experienced some recovery after a difficult period in recent years. The report is written by professionals with direct experience of the glazing industry and analyses the major developments, with comment on future developments.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market size, key trends and influencing factors, supply and distribution structure, future trends and forecasts until 2019.
- Detailed product sector review - sector size, forecasts, leading suppliers and market shares, major distribution channels and channel mix for the following:
- Locks - mortice, espagnolettes, multi-point, rim latches, window locks and latches.
- Handles - windows and doors.
- Hinges/Stays - butt, friction hinges, casement stays.
- General - door closers, ventilators, tilt 'n' turn, patio gearing, sliding gear, balances, exit hardware, signs, letterplates, bolts, padlocks and chains etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of the domestic, commercial and public end use sectors.
- Insight into the new housing and replacement markets for windows, doors and patio doors.
- Frame material mix for windows, doors and patio doors - PVC-u, timber, composites and aluminium .
- Key influences such as legislation and standards, flat/apartment building, industry rationalisation, supplier and distributor acquisition activity etc.
Some of the companies included:
- Able Locksmiths, Allegion, Allgood, Arran Isle, Arrow Architectural, ASSA Abloy, Avocet Hardware, B&Q, Basta Group, Brassart, Carl F Groupco, Cotswold Architectural Products, Decco, DGS (Double Glazing Supplies) Group, Dorma UK, E Aldridge, ERA Home Security, Geze UK, Gilgen Door Systems, Grafton, Gretsch-Unitas, Häfele, Homebase, Hoppe (UK), Ironmongery Direct, Keytek, Laidlaw, Listers, Lloyd Worral, MACO UK, Mica Hardware, Roto Frank, Saint Gobain, Securistyle, Stax, Timpson Locksmiths, Titon Hardware, Travis Perkins, Trojan Hardware, VBH (GB), Wickes, Winkhaus, Winlock, Wolseley.
Key areas covered in the report include:
WINDOW & DOOR MARKET
- Window market - volumes, recent trends, split between new housing/ home improvement/ non-housing, frame materials and window styles. Key influencing factors, future prospects.
- Hinged Doors - Market size 2009-19, recent trends - New Housing/Home Improvement share mix, Public/private sector mix. Frame materials - changes in share mix, growth of composites. Future Prospects.
- Patio Doors - Market volumes 2009-19. New Housing/Home Improvement mix. Frame materials share mix, volume trends in new build and home improvement sector 2010-15, future prospects.
DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET
- Total market size 2010-2019 , key trends, market conditions in 2013-15 with forecasts through to 2019, sales mix of major product groups 2014 and future prospects.
- Key influencing factors - review of housing and construction market - newbuild by volume/values, forecasts up to 2019, trends between housing and apartment building, legislation & standards, etc
- Analysis of supply and distribution structure for fittings - influence of leading groups, industry rationalisation, acquisition activity, strength/weaknesses of major distribution channels, recent developments, future trends..
- Major suppliers in the market - market shares in 2014, areas of strength and company details.
- Review of major distribution channels -Merchant/DIY/Independents/Architectural Ironmongers/Door & Window Fabricators, Systems, Distributors/Locksmiths - shares and major players within each.
- Market size by value 2010-2019 , trends, market drivers, effects of current climate - prospects to 2019.
- Product mix - share estimates for rim, mortice, multi-point etc - door locks, window locks, product developments and trends, growth in electronic security systems.
- Suppliers - Major suppliers by sector 2014 - retail, commercial, direct sell replacement market. Role of distributors/ suppliers, supply structure and market share estimates.
- Distribution - Channel mix 2014, strengths and weaknesses, trends and changes in distribution.
- Market Size 2010-2019 - domestic and non-domestic sectors, door/window mix, new build & replacement market, recent trends and future prospects to 2019.
- Key influences , frame materials, window designs, review of new build/replacement markets, purchasing criteria, legislation & standards, product development etc.
- Suppliers - key suppliers by sector, supply and distribution structure, trends, own brand growth.
- Distribution - Channel mix shares 2014, recent trends, range of suppliers/distributors, growth in imports.
- Market Size 2010-2019 - product mix; butt hinges, friction hinges, etc. Changing market trends, future prospects to 2017.
- Friction hinge and butt hinges markets - shares, mix by frame material, new build/replacement markets.
- Suppliers - leading suppliers, different supply structure/customer base, growth of imports, friction hinge market shares.
- Distribution - channel mix shares 2014, review of key channels, role of distributors, future trends.
- Market size by value 2014 - door closers, ventilators, tilt'n'turn, signs/number plates, letterplates, bolts/padlocks/chains etc .
- Market trends - areas of growth/decline, changes in building regulations, future prospects.
- Each sector reviewed separately , importance of domestic/commercial applications, product trends, key influences, major suppliers and distribution channels for each sector. Future prospects.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The door & window fittings market is closely linked to the door and window fabrication and installation market and the glazing industry in general - a mature market which has suffered during the years after the financial crisis. Throughout 2014 and 2015, the market continued its steady recovery, as consumer confidence and the economy improved. In 2015, the market is thought to have experienced moderate growth of around 2%, similar to growth rates in 2013 and 2014.
While the general public does buy door and window fittings at the retail level, the bulk of the market is trade-based and often a commodity sector. A reasonable share of the market is for retro-fit hardware, making standard, traditional style fittings important in the product mix. Polarisation is a striking feature of this market which is characterised at one end by high value, high specification products and low cost, basic product ranges at the other end. Locks and handles represent the two major product sectors, together accounting for over half of the fittings market. Door closers now account for an estimated 14%, having grown in recent years.
The UK door and window fittings market has been through a period of considerable change over recent years, with significant consolidation of suppliers in some sub-sectors, however the industry remains highly fragmented and competitive. The competitive nature of the market has led to significant downward pressure on average prices, and margins continually being constricted - partly due to increasing import penetration, particularly in the lower value sectors of the market. In the last 2-3 years there has been a slowing of the consolidation process as growth returned to this mature market.
In line with general construction and economic trends, our forecast indicates positive, if low, growth for 2016 and beyond. Although the overall housing and construction markets are likely to see higher growth than currently forecast for door and window fittings, value growth for hardware will continue to be muted by price pressures and strong competition. The private sector is forecast to be the main driver for growth into the medium-term particularly given the recent steady improvements in consumer confidence and spending, but the public sector is also likely to benefit from a number of housing programmes due to commence from 2015 onwards such as the new phase of Decent Homes and Affordable Homes. Further changes to building regulations and standards are likely to continue to provide opportunities for product development in future and other key drivers are enhanced security, new technology and an increasing focus on style.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK WINDOW & DOOR MARKET
- 4.1 OVERVIEW
- 4.2 MARKET VALUE
- 4.3 KEY END USE MARKETS
- 4.3.1 Domestic Door and Window Replacement Market
- 4.3.2 New Housebuilding Market
- 4.3.3 Public Sector Housebuilding
- 4.4 LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS
- 4.4.1 Building Regulations
- 4.4.2 Secured by Design
- 4.4.3 The Disability Discrimination Act
- 4.4.4 CE Marking
- 4.5 ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS
- 4.6 FRAME AND DOOR LEAF MATERIALS
- 4.6.1 PVC-U
- 4.6.2 Aluminium
- 4.6.3 Timber
- 4.6.4 Composite Doors
5 DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES - CONSTRUCTION
- 5.4.1 Overall UK Construction Market
- 5.4.2 Housebuilding Market
- 5.4.3 The UK Social Housing Market
- 5.4.4 Non-Residential Construction Sector
6 PRODUCT SECTORS
- 6.1 LOCKS & LATCHES
- 6.1.1 Market Size and Trends
- 6.1.2 Product Mix
- 6.1.3 Supply & Distribution
- 6.2 HANDLES
- 6.2.1 Market Size & Trends
- 6.2.2 Product Mix
- 6.2.3 Supply & Distribution
- 6.3 HINGES/STAYS
- 6.3.1 Market Size & Trends
- 6.3.2 Product Mix
- 6.3.3 Supply & Distribution
- 6.4 OTHER SECTORS
- 6.4.1 Door Closers
- 6.4.2 Ventilators
- 6.4.3 Window Locks/Bolts/Padlocks/Chains
- 6.4.4 Tilt 'n' Turn/Patio Gearing
- 6.4.5 Sliding Door Gear
- 6.4.6 Sign/Number Plates/Letterplates
- 6.4.7 Others
- 7.1 INDUSTRY STRUCTURE
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SHARE
- 7.3 COMPANY PROFILES
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 8.2 OVERALL DISTRIBUTION SHARES
- 8.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 8.3.1 Door & Window Fabricators
- 8.3.2 DIY Multiples
- 8.3.3 Builders Merchants/Joinery Centres
- 8.3.4 Architectural Ironmongers
- 8.3.5 DIY/Hardware Independents
- 8.3.6 Other Channels
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2007 TO 2017 - BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES (£M MSP)
- CHART 7 UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2014 SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP (RESI WINDOWS, COMMERCIAL/ROOF GLAZING, CURTAIN WALLING, PATIO/RESI DOORS, CONSERVATORIES ETC)
- CHART 8 UK FOR DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 9 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET SALES BY PRODUCT GROUP (LOCKS, HANDLES, HINGES, DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, GEARING, BOLTS/CHAINS ETC) - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%)
- TABLE 10 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GREAT BRITAIN 2010 TO 2015 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 11 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS 2009-2015 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 12 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2009-2015 - %
- CHART 13 UK HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE 2014 (%)
- CHART 14 NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK AND RMI ANALYSIS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 15 UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 BY VALUE (£M) MSP
- TABLE 16 UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET 2010-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 17 UK DOOR LOCK MARKET FOR HOUSING BY PRODUCT TYPE (MULTI-POINT, MORTICE, RIM LATCH) 2015 - % BY VOLUME
- TABLE 18 UK LOCK MARKET SHARE FOR KEY SUPPLIERS 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 19 MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE FOR LOCKS 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 20 UK DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 21 UK MARKET FOR DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VOLUME
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HANDLES DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 23 UK DOOR AND WINDOW HINGE/STAY MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 24 UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HINGES/STAYS MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BUTT, FRICTION & OTHERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 25 UK FRICTION HINGES MARKET HOUSING BY FRAME MATERIAL 2015 - %
- TABLE 26 UK MARKET FOR WINDOW AND DOOR HINGES/STAY CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 27 UK GENERAL HARDWARE MARKET (DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, SPECIALIST PRODUCTS, ETC) 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND %
- TABLE 28 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015 - % SHARE BY VALUE
- TABLE 29 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%)
- CHART 30 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2014
- CHART 31 BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2014