Product Code: bld18
AMA Research have published the 5th edition of the 'Bricks, Blocks and Precast Concrete Products Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, this report represents and up-to-date and independent review of this changing market.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, product mixes and product trends.
- Bricks - facing, engineering and common.
- Concrete blocks - dense, lightweight and aerated.
- Precast concrete products - stairs, floors, balconies, crosswall panels etc.
- Natural and cast stone.
- Review of supply and distribution structure
- Forecasts of market developments - 2016 to 2019.
Key areas of insight include:
- Recent market trends and impact of changing housebuilding market, sustainability issues.
- Precast concrete review - blocks, flooring, crosswall panels, foundations, columns, bathroom pods etc.
- Housebuilding review - 2009-H1 2015 volumes, forecasts up to 2019, housebuilding mix by build method.
- Industry restructuring - review of key players, market shares etc.
- Short term prospects in 2015-16 and medium-term forecasts to 2019, prospects and market drivers.
- Review of key distribution channels - Builders Merchants, Factors, direct supply etc.
Some of the companies included:
Acheson & Glover, Aggregate Industries, Agstone, A J Mugridge, Albion Stone, All About Bricks, Amber Precast, Bison Manufacturing, Block Stone, Bovingdon Brickworks, Brick Market, Brickability, Broadmead RCS, Buchan Concrete Solutions, Carlton Main Brickworks, Cemco Merchant Network, Cemex UK, Coltman Precast Concrete, Cotswold Natural Stone, CPM Group, CRH, Forticrete, H&B Group, H+H Celcon, Haddonstone, Hanson Building Products, Ibstock Brick, James & Taylor, L&T Stone Supplies, Meon Brick Company, Michelmersh Brick, NMBS, PD Edenhall, Plasmor, Plean Precast, Quinn Building Products, Raeburn Brick, Realstone Holdings, Roger Bullivant, Sandstone Fashions, Stanton Bonna, Stowell Concrete' Tarmac Building Products, Taylor Maxwell Group, The Combined Buying Association (CBA), Thomas Armstrong (Concrete Blocks), Unimer, Van Elle, Wienerberger.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Total market size by sales value and volume, by units delivered, production output and by area installed 2009-2014. Analysis of key market factors: impact of downturns in economy & housing markets, changes in housing 'mix', impact of MMC, trade balance, new product development etc.
- Review of product mix - facing, engineering, common bricks - product mix 2014/H1 2015, market size & trends by volume for each type 2009 - 2014, assessment of factors specific to each product type. End-user market mix for facing bricks (new build/RMI housing, non-housing new build).
- Supply structure - major suppliers, recent further market consolidation, market share estimates, analysis of international trade 2009-H1 2015.
- Forecasts 2015-2019 - assessment of key market factors.
CONCRETE BLOCKS AND PRECAST STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS
- Overview of Concrete Blocks and Precast Concrete Products - market sizes - blocks & structural products (concrete flooring, panels, structural frames and columns, foundations, modules/pods etc.
- Blocks - market size and trends by volume - production, stockholdings & deliveries and by value 2009 - 2014; analysis of key market factors; sustainability issues (use of recycled content, trade balance etc).
- Review of product mix -lightweight, dense and aerated blocks: sales of each by volume 2009 -2014, key market factors; application by types of block e.g. inner leaves, flooring etc, trends in international trade 2009 - H1 2015.
- Structural Products - overall market size 2009-2014, product mix (Stairs/floors/balconies etc, crosswall panels, others). Market forecasts 2015-2019, key factors influencing forecasts.
- Supply structure - major suppliers, market shares for aircrete blocks, market shares for aggregate concrete blocks, market positioning, changing structures etc.
- Forecasts for total market 2015-2019 and identification of key market factors.
- Market size by value and trends 2009 - 2014, analysis of key market factors e.g. end use sector trends.
- Supply structure - key suppliers of natural stone products, trends in international trade.
- Forecasts for both natural and cast stone blocks 2015-2019 by value and key market drivers.
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Bricks - market mix by distributor types - builders merchants, brick factors, direct sales etc. Identification of major distributors and key niche players.
- Precast concrete blocks - market mix by distributor types - builders merchants, brick factors, direct sales etc. Identification of major distributors and key niche players.
- Natural stone and cast stone - market mix by distributor types - builders merchants, brick factors, direct sales etc. Identification of major distributors and key niche players.
OVERVIEW OF CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- Review of recent construction & housebuilding trends 2009-2014 including new orders 2009-14 and key issues e.g. sustainable development, modern methods of construction (MMC). Housebuilding mix - flats and apartments. Non-residential construction market by Sector.
- Focus on housebuilding market - analysis of key trends including size & types of dwelling, completions by sector 2009 - 2019, private vs public sector, houses/flats, new build/RMI, self-build sector 2009-2014.
- Overview of housebuilding industry structure, market shares of leading groups, assessment of industry.
- Future prospects for new housing - medium/longer term up to 2019.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The market for bricks, blocks, concrete precast products, cast stone and natural stone peaked in 2007 and reached a low point of in 2012, before starting to recover. Since then, growth has been strong with the market estimated to have grown by around 25% between 2012 and 2014 by value. Current estimates indicate that £2bn threshold will be within reach at the end of 2015. Key specific factors trends that drive this market include the health and performance of the housing sector, levels of public sector investment in major projects and developments, business confidence & investment, as well as consumer confidence and spending.
Bricks were estimated to account for around 30% share of the total market in 2014 within indications that good growth experienced 2013-14 has continued into 2015 with further double digit growth. UK manufacturers of bricks have been placed under significant pressure by a sudden spike in demand after 5 years of volume decline and significant cuts in production. Major players have been reopening mothballed plants, creating jobs and increasing shifts, as well as investing in technology and skills in order to boost output. Imports have also risen significantly in the period 2012-2014.
Precast concrete blocks have seen a similar rise in demand, with sales rebounding in 2013 after two years of decline, and signs of a further strengthening of demand in 2014 and 2015. Block manufacturers have also had to adjust to the surge in housebuilding activity, although according to industry information there are now no discernible shortages, and current demands are being met. The market for precast concrete structural building products increased by around 9% in 2014, with current indications of similar growth by the end of 2015. Natural stone products used in building recorded 10% growth in 2014, following a similar increase in the previous year. However, its value remains significantly below the market peak in 2010.
The total market for bricks, blocks, concrete precast and natural stone products is likely to continue on its relatively strong path of growth in the short to medium term. However, the performance of individual product groups within the overall market will vary, although the general trend is positive. Into the medium-term, annual growth rates of 7-11% are forecast to 2019. In addition, the precast concrete products market is affected by global demand, supply and pricing issues which remain volatile as well as the performance of the UK construction sector. The current trends in the greater construction sector and a broadly positive outlook in the underlying economy, are likely to stimulate further growth in the market. Initiatives aimed at prioritising housebuilding will boost demand, at least in the short to medium term, with the most important of these being plans to build 200,000 'starter homes' by 2020, aimed at first time buyers under 40.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 THE UK CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- 4.1 TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 4.1.1 Construction New Orders
- 4.2 NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION
- 4.3 RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION
- 4.4 HOUSEBUILDING MARKET
- 4.4.1 Size and Structure
- 4.4.2 Housebuilders Market Share
- 4.4.3 Self Build Market
- 4.5 CONSTRUCTION TRENDS
- 4.5.1 Size and Type of Homes
- 4.5.2 Sustainability
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITIONS
- 5.1.1 Facing bricks
- 5.1.2 Common bricks
- 5.1.3 Engineering bricks
- 5.2 MATERIALS
- 5.2.1 Clay Bricks
- 5.2.2 Concrete Bricks
- 5.2.3 Calcium Silicate Bricks
- 5.3 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 5.3.1 Market Value
- 5.3.2 Market Volume
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1 Facing Bricks
- 5.4.2 Common Bricks
- 5.4.3 Engineering Bricks
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 5.6 FORECAST
- 5.7 SUPPLIERS
6 PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS
- 6.1 OVERVIEW OF TOTAL PRECAST CONCRETE BUILDING PRODUCTS MARKET
- 6.2 MARKET FOR PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS
- 6.2.1 Definition
- 6.2.2 Market Value
- 6.3 MARKET BY END-USE SECTOR
- 6.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.4.1 Aggregate Concrete Blocks - Dense
- 6.4.2 Lightweight Blocks
- 6.4.3 Aerated (aircrete) Blocks
- 6.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 6.6 FORECASTS
- 6.7 SUPPLIERS
- 6.7.1 Leading Suppliers of Dense & Lightweight Blocks
- 6.7.2 Leading Suppliers of Aircrete Blocks
- 6.7.3 Suppliers
7 PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS
- 7.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.3.1 Precast Flooring and Related Products
- 7.3.2 Precast Panel Products
- 7.3.3 Miscellaneous/'Other' Precast Concrete Structural Products
- 7.4 FORECAST
- 7.5 SUPPLIERS
- 7.5.1 Suppliers of Pre-fabricated Modular Foundation Systems
- 7.5.2 Leading Suppliers of Cast Stone
8 NATURAL STONE
- 8.1 DEFINITION
- 8.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 8.2.1 Overall Monumental and Building Stone Market
- 8.2.2 Natural Stone Building Produts
- 8.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 8.4 FORECAST
- 8.5 SUPPLIERS
9 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 9.1 DISTRIBUTION MIX
- 9.1.1 Clay Bricks
- 9.1.2 Concrete blocks, Cast Stone and Other Precast Products
- 9.1.3 Natural Stone
- 9.2 GENERAL BUILDERS MERCHANTS
- 9.3 FACTORS/SPECIALIST MERCHANTS
- 9.4 DIRECT SALES
- 9.5 OTHERS (INCLUDING DIY)
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS & STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS, NATURAL & CAST STONE BUILDING PRODUCTS, 2009 TO 2019 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK AND RMI ANALYSIS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 7 VALUE OF NEW ORDERS OBTAINED BY CONTRACTORS BY TYPE OF WORK (GB) 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 8 NON RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT IN GREAT BRITAIN (NEW WORK AND RMI) 2011 - 2015 - £BN AT CURRENT PRICES
- CHART 9 RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 10 RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW BUILD AND RMI) - PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTORS (GB) 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 11 LEADING NATIONAL HOUSEBUILDERS 2014 - NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS AND MARKET SHARE (%)
- CHART 12 UK SELF BUILD COMPLETIONS 2010 TO 2018 - BY VOLUME (NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS)
- TABLE 13 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS MIX BY TYPE (HOUSE & FLATS) AND BY NUMBER OF BEDROOMS IN ENGLAND 2009/10 TO 2014/15 - % OF DWELLINGS
- TABLE 14 UK MARKET FOR BRICKS UK MANUFACTURE SALES, INTERNATIONAL TRADE BALANCE AND UK NET SUPPLY, 2009 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 15 BRICKS UK PRODUCTION, DELIVERIES AND STOCKS 2009 TO H 2015 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS)
- CHART 16 BRICKS PRODUCT MIX (FACING, ENGINEERING AND COMMON) H1 2015 - % BY VOLUME
- TABLE 17 FACING BRICKS SALES/DELIVERIES 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS)
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS 2009 - 2015 - BY AREA INSTALLED (THOUSAND SQUARE METRES)
- CHART 19 UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS BY END USE SECTOR (NEW BUILD HOUSING, HOUSING RMI, INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL & PUBLIC SECTOR NEW BUILD) 2015 - % BY AREA INSTALLED
- TABLE 20 COMMON BRICKS SALES/DELIVERIES 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) AND %
- TABLE 21 SALES/DELIVERIES OF ENGINEERING BRICKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS)
- TABLE 22 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CLAY BRICKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 23 CLAY BRICKS KEY IMPORT SOURCE & EXPORT DESTINATION COUNTRIES 2009 TO H1 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 24 UK BRICKS MARKET FORECASTS 2015 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 25 UK MARKET FOR BRICKS MARKET SHARE FOR KEY SUPPLIERS - %
- CHART 26 UK TOTAL PRE CAST CONCRETE PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 27 UK MARKET FOR CONCRETE BLOCKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 28 UK CONCRETE BLOCK PRODUCTION, DELIVERIES/SALES AND STOCKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES
- CHART 29 PRECAST CONCRETE MARKET BY END USE SECTOR (RESIDENTIAL AND NON-RESIDENTIAL) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 30 UK CONCRETE BLOCK SALES/DELIVERIES BY TYPE (DENSE, LIGHTWEIGHT & AERATED) H1 2015 - %
- TABLE 31 SALES/DELIVERIES OF DENSE BLOCKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES
- TABLE 32 UK SALES/DELIVERIES OF LIGHTWEIGHT BLOCKS 2009 TO H1 2015 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES
- TABLE 33 UK SALES/DELIVERIES OF AERATED BLOCKS 2009 TO H1 2005 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES
- TABLE 34 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CONCRETE BLOCKS, BRICKS & PRECAST PRODUCTS (INCLUDING TILES, FLAGSTONES & SIMILAR PRODUCTS) 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 35 UK MARKET FOR AGGREGATE CONCRETE BLOCKS FORECASTS 2015 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 36 UK MARKET FOR DENSE & LIGHTWEIGHT BLOCKS LEADING SUPPLIERS - MARKET SHARES (%)
- CHART 37 UK MARKET FOR AIRCRETE BLOCKS LEADING SUPPLIERS - MARKET SHARE (%)
- TABLE 38 UK MARKET FOR PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS 2009 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 39 PRECAST STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS ESTIMATED PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 40 UK PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL BUILDING PRODUCTS MARKET FORECASTS 2015 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 41 TOTAL UK MARKET FOR MONUMENTAL AND BUILDING STONE 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 42 UK MARKET FOR BUILDING PRODUCTS OF NATURAL STONE 2009 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 43 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN NATURAL BUILDING STONE 2009 TO H1 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 44 UK MARKET FOR NATURAL STONE BUILDING PRODUCTS FORECAST 2015 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 45 NUMBER OF ACTIVE QUARRIES IN THE UK BY TURNOVER BAND 2012 AND 2014
- CHART 46 UK DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR CLAY BRICKS 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 47 UK DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS, CAST STONE AND OTHER PRECAST 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 48 LEADING DISTRIBUTORS OF BRICKS, BLOCKS AND CONCRETE PRECAST PRODUCTS