Product Code: Bld53
The 7th edition of the 'Panelised Modular Building Systems Market Report - UK 2018-2022 ' has been published by AMA Research. Since the 2016 edition of this report, market performance has improved due to growth in demand in key sectors including housebuilding, self-build, student accommodation, hotels. Public sector procurement frameworks have also been key in driving up the use of offsite construction.
Key issues analysed:
- Overall market size & structure - market value, recent trends & growth forecasts, key drivers etc.
- Product mix by value for: timber frame, light steel framing, precast concrete panels & other timber based - SIPS and CLT.
- Key end user sectors analysis - mix by value, market potential for private & social housing, self-build housing, healthcare, education, hotels, prisons, student accommodation, etc.
- Major suppliers by product types - market shares and company profiles.
Areas of particular interest:
- Market forecasts for panelised modular building systems market to 2022.
- Review of key frame / panel product sectors - timber frame, light gauge structural steel framing, concrete & other timber based (structural insulated panels and cross laminated timber systems).
- Performance of key end use markets: focus on housebuilding, healthcare, education, student & keyworker accommodation, self-build, hotels.
- Review of suppliers in each product sector - market shares, major manufacturers.
- Review of market prospects with a key focus on the housing sector and the emergence of cross laminate timber systems.
- Detailed market data and insight on the panelised modular building systems market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
- Some of the companies included:
Advanced Cold Formed Sections, Alexanders Timber Design, Ayrshire Metal Ltd, BW Industries, Caledan, CCG Off-Site Manufacturing, Cornish Concrete Products, Creagh Concrete Products, Cygnum Timber Frame, Deeside Timberframe, Elements (Europe), Enewall, EOS Facades, Explore Manufacturing, Fabricators, Fleming Building, Flight Timber Products, Forterra Building Products, FP McCann, Frame Homes, Frame-Tech Structures, Hadley Steel Framing, Harlow Timber Systems, HEMSEC Manufacturing, Innovare Systems, Kingspan Timber Solutions, Kingspan Timber Solutions, Lowfield Timber Frames, Mactaggart & Mickel Timber Systems, Merronbrook, Metek UK, Metsec Steel Framing, OFP Timber Frame, Orca LGS Solutions, Oregon Timber Frame, Oriented strand board, Panel manufacturers, Pinewood Structures, Robertson Timber Engineering, Roe Timber Frame, Salvesen Insulated Frames, Scotframe Timber Engineering, Sigmat, SIP Building Systems, SIPS (UK), SIPS Eco, SIPS Industries, Space4, Steel Frame Solutions, Stewart Milne Timber Systems, Superior Sections, Sydenhams Timber Engineering, Target Timber Systems, Taylor Lane Timber Frame, The Walker Timber Group, Thorp Precast, TJ Crump Oakwrights, Vision Built Manufacturing, Western Building Systems.
Total panelised modular building systems market - market analysis by value 2012-2017 and forecasts 2018-2022. Key market influences - trends in construction output, housing shortage, public sector offsite procurement frameworks, government initiatives shortage of skills in building trades, increased uptake of Building Information Modelling (BIM). Overview of product mix by frame material by value.
Product Sector Review
- Timber frame- sector size by value & volume 2011-2017, key trends and prospects; end user mix; housebuilding mix by developer types; supplier market shares; review of leading manufacturers.
- Light steel frame- sector size by value, key trends and prospects, review of leading suppliers.
- Precast concrete panels- sector size by value, key trends and prospects; review of leading manufacturers.
- Other timber products - structural insulated panels & cross laminated timber systems, etc. sector sizes, key trends and prospects; review of leading suppliers..
Key End Use Sector Reviews
- Overall mix market by end user sector by value.
- Private & social housebuilding - output mix by types of building method i.e. masonry, timber frame & other offsite; review of key changes in the mix and drivers; mix by types of dwelling; assessment of impact of Affordable Homes programme; market prospects and key drivers for offsite e.g. uptake of CLT.
- Self-build housing - trend by number of dwellings 2012-2017; key market drivers, use of offsite building methods.
- Education - overview of general construction trends & applications for offsite e.g. Priority Schools Building Programme and higher education building activity.
- Healthcare - overview of general construction trends & applications for offsite e.g. Procure 21 programme.
- Hotels - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Focus on budget sector.
- Purpose built student accommodation - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
Since 2013 the industry has seen steady growth, mostly due to the recovery in the housebuilding, commercial and education sectors. The main product type is timber frame, competing with light gauge steel, precast concrete and other engineered wood-based panels. This latter group includes structural insulated panels (SIPS) and cross laminated timber (CLT) systems. While timber frame is the most widely used type of offsite system in both the social and private housebuilding sectors, over the next few years, it is expected to face stiff competition from cross laminated timber.
Key end use sectors for panelised modular building systems are private and social housing (including self-build), apartment blocks, schools, hotels, healthcare and care facilities and purpose built student accommodation. Residential applications (which includes student and keyworker accommodation but not care homes) account for the majority of the overall market, dominated by private and social housing.
Over the next few years to 2022, there are several factors that could well underpin a steady growth in the sector, probably over and above that forecast in the overall construction industry. These include an increasing use of Building Information Modelling, and an increasing number of public sector procurement frameworks which should enable increased specification of panelised and volumetric modular building systems on social housing new-build developments.More importantly there is now a strong likelihood of an increase in the use of volumetric and other types of offsite construction method to help meet the chronic housing shortage and cope with the lack of traditional construction skills within the construction industry.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 2.1 MARKET REVIEW
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS
- 4.1 INTRODUCTION
- 4.2 DEFINITIONS
- 4.3 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3.1 Market Development and Forecasts
- 4.3.2 Construction Activity
- 4.3.3 Building Information Modelling
- 4.3.4 Shortages in Traditional Construction Skills
- 4.3.5 Sustainability Issues
- 4.4 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 PRODUCT MIX BY TYPE
- 5.2.1 Bathroom and Shower/Wet Room PODs
- 5.2.2 Kitchen PODs
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIERS
- 6.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS
7. KEY END USE APPLICATION SECTORS
- 7.1 END USE SECTOR OVERVIEW
- 7.2 HOUSING
- 7.2.1 Overview
- 7.2.2 Flats and Apartments
- 7.2.3 Social Housing
- 7.3 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
- 7.4 HOTELS
- 7.5 HEALTHCARE FACILITIES
- 7.6 OTHER SECTORS
8. SPECIFICATION AND INSTALLATION
- 8.1 SPECIFICATION PROCESS
- 8.2 KEY SPECIFICATION CRITERIA
- 8.3 DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS MARKET BY VALUE (£ MSP) & VOLUME ('000 UNITS) 2013-2022
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: THE FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS
- CHART 7: UK BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS MARKET BY VALUE (£ MSP) & VOLUME (THOUSAND UNITS) 2013-2022
- TABLE 8: TOTAL CONTRACTORS NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012-2021
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2017
- CHART 10: BATHROOM, KITCHEN AND SHOWER ROOM PODS - % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2017
- CHART 11: BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - VALUE % MIX BY MATERIAL USED 2017 - GRP, STEEL AND CONCRETE
- TABLE 12: BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - % ESTIMATED MARKET SHARE BY VALUE 2017
- CHART 13: BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - % MIX BY VOLUME BY APPLICATION SECTOR 2017 - RESIDENTIAL, EDUCATION, LEISURE, HEALTH, MOD AND OTHERS
- TABLE 14: BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS MARKET PRICING 2017 (£ MSP) - STANDARD, MID-MARKET, UPMARKET
- TABLE 15: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 16: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2010-2021
- TABLE 17: HCA AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROGRAMMES - TOTAL COMPLETIONS BY YEAR AND BY TENURE: 2012-2017
- CHART 18: GROWTH OF THE PRS SECTOR 2015-2025 (NO. DWELLINGS) (M)
- CHART 19: UK HIGHER EDUCATION AND OTHER EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - BY VALUE £BN AT CURRENT PRICES 2013 TO 2022
- CHART 20: UK STUDENT ACCOMMODATION CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - BY VALUE £BN AT CURRENT PRICES 2013 TO 2022
- CHART 21: TYPE OF ACCOMMODATION FOR FULL TIME STUDENTS 2016/7 - %
- CHART 22: ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR - 2013-2022
- CHART 23: ENTERTAINMENT & LEISURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) AND % CHANGE 2013-2021
- CHART 24: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - SHARE OF REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC.
- TABLE 25: UK HOTEL MARKET 2011- 2021 (% BY TYPE AND NO OF ROOMS)
- CHART 26: GROWTH OF THE UK BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR 1995 TO 2016 - BY NUMBER OF ROOMS
- TABLE 27: TOP 4 UK BUDGET HOTELS LEADING BRAND PORTFOLIOS AND MARKET SHARE (%)
- CHART 28: HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2013 TO 2021
- CHART 29: FUTURE DEMAND FOR CARE HOME PLACES - EXPECTED DEMAND VS. CURRENT ANNUAL SUPPLY: 2015-2021
- CHART 30: NUMBER OF BED-SPACES IN CARE HOMES (ALL TYPES) IN THE UK BY REGION 2016-17
- TABLE 31: MAJOR CARE HOME PROVIDERS/DEVELOPERS: DEVELOPMENT PLANS 2016-2021 SUMMARY
- CHART 32: OFFICES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) AND % CHANGE 2013-2021