Product Code: AN-1958
Robotics technologies have been successfully employed to automate many common materials handling processes. However, the latest generation of robotics systems, which support advanced visioning, mobility, autonomous navigation, complex manipulation, and motion control, as well as greater levels of intelligence, enable whole new classes of materials handling applications that greatly improve productivity and quality levels.
To better understand the state-of-the-practice and state-of-the-art for the use of robotics technologies for material handling applications, as well as provide insights into to what the future holds, ABI Research surveyed representatives employed at 152 manufacturing firms, warehouses, and distribution centers that employ, or are considering employing, robots, robotic technology or Automatic Guided Vehicles (AGVs) for material handling applications. The results provided a basis for an in-depth analysis of:
- Acquisition profiles for manufacturers, warehouses, and distributions centers purchasing AGVs and advanced robotics technologies for material handling
- Current and projected spending for robots and AGVs for material handling applications
- Demand drivers and barriers for robotic material handling automation
- Features, capabilities, and options most highly valued for robotic material handling automation solutions
- Key application areas and adoption profiles for AGVs and robotic material handling technologies
- Material handling application development trends
- Adoption trends for companies utilizing AGVs including, Unit Load AGVs, Automated Carts, Forklift AGVs, Tugs, and Towing Vehicles
- Usage and investment patterns for companies employing robotic technology for material handling operations, including Articulate Robots, Linear Robots, SCARA Robots, Parallel Robots, and Co-Worker Robots
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
2. DEFINING "ROBOTS" AND "ROBOTICS"
3. DEFINING "MATERIALS HANDLING"
4. ROBOTIC AUTOMATION ADOPTION
- 4.1. Normal Distribution
- 4.2. Spending for Robots and Robotic Automation
- 4.2.1. Robotics Spending by Company Size
- 4.3. Spending for Automated Guide Vehicles
- 4.3.1. AGV Spending by Company Size
- 4.4. System Acquisition
- 4.5. Benefits of Robotic Automation
- 4.6. Barriers to Robotic Automation
- 4.7. Features, Capabilities, and Options
5. APPLICATIONS AND TECHNOLOGIES
- 5.1. Applications
- 5.2. Robotics Systems
- 5.2.1. Articulated Robots
- 5.2.2. Linear Robots
- 5.2.3. SCARA Robots
- 5.2.4. Parallel Robots
- 5.2.5. Coworker Robots
- 5.2.6. Outliers
- 5.3. Application Development
- 5.4. Automated Guided Vehicles
7. RESPONDENT PROFILE
- 7.1. A North American Sampling
- 7.2. A Balance of Staff and Management
- 7.3. Mostly Manufacturing
- 7.4. Company Size
- 7.4.1. Size by Employee Number
- 7.4.2. Size by Revenue
- 1. Which of the following best describes your company regarding its adoption of robotics technologies for materials-handling applications?
- 2. Adoption Profile for Robotics Technologies for Materials-handling Applications
- 3. What are your company's overall spending plans over the next 2 years regarding robotic automation (excluding AGVs)?
- 4. What are your company's overall spending plans over the next 2 years regarding robotic automation (excluding AGVs)?
- 5. What are your company's overall spending plans over the next 2 years for automated guided vehicles (AGVs) for materials-handling applications?
- 6. What are your company's overall spending plans over the next 2 years for automated guided vehicles (AGVs) for materials-handling applications?
- 7. How are robotics technologies and AGVs acquired at your company?
- 8. How important are each of the following benefits that robotic and AGV materials-handling automation has delivered/can deliver to your company?
- 9. Robotic and AGV Material-handling Automation Benefits Rated "Extremely Important"
- 10. How important is each of the following potential barriers as they may limit or slow the rate of robotic and AGV materials-handling automation adoption at your company?
- 11. Robotic and AGV Materials-handling Automation Barriers Rated "Extremely Important"
- 12. How important are the following features, capabilities, and options in terms of their ability to increase your company's rate and level of robotic and AGV materials-handling Automation?
- 13. Robotic and AGV Materials-handling Automation Features, Capabilities, and Options Rated "Extremely Important"
- 14. Which of the following materials-handling applications do you currently automate using robotics technologies and/or AGVs? In 2 years?
- 15. Which of the following robotic types do you currently use in your organization to automate materials-handling? In 2 years?
- 16. Who develops robotic materials-handling applications for your company?
- 17. Which of the following automated guided vehicles (AGVs) and mobile robot types do you currently use in your organization? In 2 years?
- 18. Where are your company's headquarters located?
- 19. What best describes your current responsibilities?
- 20. What is your company's primary business?
- 21. How many people are employed at your entire company?
- 22. What do you estimate your company's gross revenues for fiscal year 2014 will be?
- 1. Diagrammatic Representation of Generic Manufacturing/Warehousing/Distribution Center