This report examines the product segment that embeds optical transceiver technologies into enclosed cables that hide the high-speed optics behind two transceiver ends with an electrical interconnect presented to the outside. This factor enables creating high aggregate data rate links at costs significantly below that of two separate connectorized transceivers and fibers.
Presented are data on annual AOC shipments, revenues and average selling prices for 2011-2013 and we forecast the market for 2014-2020. We analyze technologies, market trends, protocol transitions, data rates, MSAs for InfiniBand, Ethernet and other protocols as well as potential applications of AOCs in storage systems.
Additional analysis is included for the emerging Video and Consumer AOC segment using HDMI, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt and USB.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Report Objective
- Research Methodology
Chapter 1: AOC Features, Benefits and Technologies
- AOC Advantages from the Buyers Perspective
- AOC Disadvantages from a Buyer's Perspective
- AOCs vsDirect Attach copper -- Active and Passive
- Resurrected 10GBASE-T is the Primary Threat to SFP+ AOCs
- AOC Advantages from the Manufacturer's Perspective
- AOCs Find a Home for Advanced Photonics
Chapter 2: Applications and Markets for AOCs
- AOC Market Expands
- The AOC Business
- HPC/InfiniBand is the Main Market Today
- HPC Market Slump Longer than Anticipated
- The Top AOC Customers: The Top 500 HPC Computers
- The U.SDepartment of Energy Supercomputer Purchasing Plan
- Key Supercomputer Opportunities
- HPC Storage Systems use InfiniBand and AOCs
- Commercial Data Centers
- Server-to-Switch Links Create SFP+ AOC Opportunities
- First Tier Switch Connections an Opportunity for QSFP AOCs
- RDMA over Ethernet (RoCE)
- A side note on new data centers
- Impact of Data Center Infrastructure
- Some Cloud Computing Data Centers now use InfiniBand
- Enter the "Data Appliance" Market
- Mega Data centers and 100G 500m Issue
- 400GbE on the Horizon
- Commercial Video and Consumer AOCs
Chapter 3: AOC Products, MSAs, & Protocols
- AOC Transceiver MSAs
- 12x25G CXP?
- Mini SAS HD
- PCI Express x4 and x8
- CDFP for 400G
- AOC Product Configurations
- Breakout AOCs
- Data Striping with AOCs
- Protocols & Road Maps
- InfiniBand AOCs -- Dominate Today
- Intel to Challenge Mellanox with Omni Path Fabric
- Ethernet AOCs -- The Next Big Thing
- 25Gbps Ethernet is Coming!
- RDMA going beyond InfiniBand (So what is RoCE?)
- Cisco Also Offering Proprietary Low-latency Interconnect: user-space NIC
- Fibre Channel AOCs?
- Cabled SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) Coming for Big Storage
- Cabled PCI Express
- Telecom, Military, Scientific
Chapter 4: AOC Competitive Landscape
- AOC Suppliers
- 3M Interconnect Solutions
- 10Gtek Transceivers Co., Ltd.
- Advanced Photonics, Inc.
- Amphenol High-Speed Interconnects
- Avago Technologies
- Centera Photonics
- Hitachi Cable
- Siemon Interconnect Solutions
- TE Connectivity
Chapter 5: Forecast and Analysis
- Forecast by Protocol
- Unit Shipments Forecast and Analysis
- Pricing Forecast and Analysis
- Revenue Forecast and Analysis
Chapter 6: "Pro Consumer" and Consumer AOCs
- Commercial Video AOCs for Digital Signage, Professional Video, etc.
- Strong Competition from Copper
- Will Digital Signage be a large market for AOCs?
- Professional Video
- AOCs in Zero Client PC Applications?
- Consumer and "Pro Consumer" Optic AOCs
- Real Market Need or Wishful Thinking?
- Optical HDMI 2.0 at 18Gbps
- Optical DisplayPort and Thunderbolt
- PCI Express OCuLink
- SuperSpeed USB 3.1 at 10 Gbps
- HDBaseT (HDBT)
- The AOC Analysis and Forecast Methodology