INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the fourth
edition of the report 'Professional Portable Power Tools Market Report - UK
2013-2017 Analysis'. The report provides an informed and up-to-date review
of this market including information on the recent trends and issues that
impact the market.
The report contains:
- FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS TO 2017.
- DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - market sizes, product mix,
product trends, market structure and developments in the market.
- REVIEWS OF SUPPLY &DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS - key channels including
industrial distributors & specialists, with Internet increasing.
- ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - drilling, driving & breaking,
cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking.
The professional portable power tools market performance is primarily
influenced by activity levels in new build & RMI construction and engineering
& manufacturing industries, as well as a range of industry-specific influences
including product development and legislation. It is a relatively mature
market which is primarily dependent on replacement purchases, although recent
product developments have helped to underpin the market to a certain extent
during the economic downturn.
Areas of particular interest:
- Analysis of market performance in 2010-12
- Product Mix - sector sizes 2007-17, trends, recent and future changes..
- Review of key suppliers - product profiles, market shares etc.
- Product development - lithium-ion batteries, brushless motor
- Distribution channels - key channels, changes etc.
- Forecast of market performance to 2017.
Some of the companies included:
Atlas Copco, Axminster Power Tool Centre, B&Q, Brammer, Clarke Power Products
UK, Cromwell Tools, CTS Ironmongery, Dewalt Industrial Power Tools Company,
Draper Tools, Erbauer, Eriks Industrial Services, Fein Industrial Power tools
(UK), Grafton Group, Hilti (Great Britain), Homebase, ITW Construction
Products, JCB, Machine Mart, Makita (UK), Metabo (UK), My Tools Shed Northern
Tool and Equipment Co. (UK), Panasonic Electric Works, Robert Bosch ,
Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Screwfix Direct, SIG Fixings,
Stanley Black & Decker, Techtronic Industries Co, The Power Tool Centre, The
Site Box, Tool Shop Direct, Toolbank, Tool-Net, Tools & Accessories,
Tools4trade, Toolstation, Toolstop, Travis Perkins, Wickes.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- The professional portable power tools market - market definition,
size, factors influencing market.
- Overall market size in value terms from 2007-2012, with
forecasts to 2017.
- Key market influences including product development such as
lithium-ion batteries boosting sales of cordless products, compact tools and
brushless motor technology, as well as the impact of economic downturn and
- Product groups reviewed - driving, drilling & hammering, cutting &
grinding and carpentry & wood working.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels -
manufacturers' market shares, key distributors etc.
- Product groups reviewed - drilling, driving & breaking, cutting
& grinding and carpentry & woodworking.
- Estimated shares of main product groups 2012 within the overall
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market size
2012 with forecasts to 2017.
- Product sectors - review of products within the sector including
recent trends and factors affecting sector.
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Profiles of leading manufacturers - overview of market shares,
turnovers, company structure, market positioning etc.
- Review of distribution - distribution structure, key distribution
- Review of leading distributors - market shares, leading players -
general industrial product distributors, power tool specialists, builders
merchants and DIY multiples etc.
- Forecasts of market development 2012-2017.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth - new build &
RMI, engineering & manufacturing industries, product development and
legislation. Intense competition, volatile prices of raw materials, fuel &
energy costs, dependence on replacement purchases in relatively mature market
- Outlook for the professional portable power tools market through
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The 4th edition of the professional portable power tool market provides a
comprehensive analysis of the different product sectors (drilling, driving &
breaking, cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking). The report also
provides a forecast of market prospects up to 2016. Reviews of the supply and
distribution channels are provided.
The professional portable power tools market is a specialised sector of the
overall portable power tool market and is defined as power tools that are
designated as such and are understood to be designed and manufactured to
'professional' or 'trade' standards. 'Portable' means that the tool is carried
and operated by one person. The market is relatively mature and dependent on a
wide range of end-use sectors so is not generally subjected to such large
swings in market performance. The market has a strong reliance on replacement
purchases and is also impacted by homeowners preference for GSI or DIY, trends
that tend to fluctuate depending on the prevailing economic environment.
Following sustained growth to 2007, the market declined in 2008 and 2009, due
to the impact of the economic downturn and its effects on key-end-use sectors.
The market stabilised at an estimated size of £200m in 2010. Whilst the
market is forecast to experience marginal decline in 2013, recovery in 2014 is
forecast to be followed by continued growth to 2017 reaching an estimated
market size of £223m.
This is a competitive, concentrated market, with around 70% of sales generated
by 3 suppliers. Makita continue to be market leaders and have increased their
share in recent years, with other significant players including Stanley Black
& Decker, Bosch, Techtronic Industries, Hitachi, and Metabo.
The key distribution channel for professional portable power tools is the
general industrial products distributors, a category that includes Screwfix.
Other key distributors include the power tools specialists and builders
merchants with the Internet gaining share. DIY multiples have also gained
share in recent years with the main companies involved in this channel being
B&Q and Wickes. The former have targeted tradesmen and have introduced
TradePoint to all their stores and the latter have increased the number of
branded portable power tools offered.
The drilling, driving & breaking sector continues to dominate sector the
market, accounting for just over half of the market. The other two sectors,
cutting & grinding and carpentry & woodworking, account for almost a quarter
of the market respectively.
Product development has helped to underpin the market to a certain extent
during the economic downturn. Li-ion technology dominates the rechargeable
battery chemistries, which has helped to boost the cordless tool sector of the
market (now accounting for over half of the market). More recently there has
been a trend towards compact tools and the introduction of brushless motor
technology that may offer the potential to boost sales significantly in the
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE
- 4.2.1 Overview
- 4.2.2 Recent Performance
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects
- 4.2.4 International Trade in Portable Power Tools
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI activities
- 4.3.2 House Moving and Home Improvements
- 4.3.3 Manufacturing Industry Output
- 4.3.4 Legislation
- 4.3.5 Timber Frame Housing
- 4.3.6 Transport Infrastructure
- 4.3.7 Wood Working
- 4.3.8 Additional Factors Influencing the Market
- 5.1 CORDLESS POWER TOOLS
- 5.2 DRILLING, DRIVING AND BREAKING
- 5.2.1 Drills and Drivers
- 5.2.2 Breakers
- 5.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING
- 5.3.1 Grinders
- 5.3.2 Power Saws
- 5.3.3 Multi-functional Tools
- 5.3.4 Other Cutting Tools
- 5.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING
- 5.4.1 Sanders
- 5.4.2 Routers
- 5.4.3 Planers
- 5.4.4 Nailers and Staplers
6 KEY SUPPLIERS
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIER PROFILES
- 6.2.1 Makita (UK) Ltd
- 6.2.2 Black & Decker/DeWalt
- 6.2.3 Robert Bosch Ltd
- 6.2.4 Hitachi Power Tools (UK) Ltd
- 6.2.5 Techtronic Industries (TTI)
- 6.2.6 Metabo (UK) Ltd
- 6.2.7 Hilti (Great Britain) Ltd
- 6.2.8 Panasonic Electric Works
- 6.2.9 Fein Industrial Power tools (UK) Ltd
- 6.2.10 Atlas Copco
- 6.2.11 Other Suppliers
- 7.1 OVERVIEW
- 7.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES
- 7.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 7.3.1 General Industrial Products Distributors
- 7.3.2 Builders and Plumbers Merchants
- 7.3.3 Power Tools Specialists
- 7.3.4 Tool and Plant Hire Outlets
- 7.3.5 DIY Multiples
- 7.3.6 Other Distributors
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS
2007-2017 BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2017
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2017
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2007 -
2017 (£M MSP)
- CHART 7 GROWTH FORECASTS OF KEY CONSTRUCTION SECTORS 2012-2016
- TABLE 8 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN PORTABLE POWER TOOLS 2003 TO 2011- BY VALUE
- CHART 9 IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS PRODUCT MIX 2011 - DRILLS, SAWS,
OTHER PRODUCTS - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 10 IMPORTS OF PORTABLE POWER TOOLS FOR 2011 - SOURCE COUNTRIES BY
VALUE (£M) AND % SHARE
- CHART 11 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR - 2005-12 ANNUAL TOTALS, (INDEX
2005 = 100)
- CHART 12 FORECAST VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI SECTORS)
2011 - 2016 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 13 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK 2006-2014 (000'S)
- TABLE 14 OUTPUT OF THE PRODUCTION INDUSTRIES 2007-2012 (SEASONALLY
ADJUSTED)2009 = 100
- CHART 15 UK TIMBER FRAME COMPLETIONS ('000 DWELLINGS) 2007 - 2012 BY VOLUME
- CHART 16 VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2006-2012 (£
- TABLE 17 UK WOODWORKING MARKET 2007-2012 (£BN MSP)
- CHART 18 PRODUCT CATEGORY (CUTTING/GRINDING, DRILLING/DRIVING/BREAKING,
CARPENTRY/WOODWORKING) - MIX BY VALUE 2012
- CHART 19 MIX BY CORDLESS AND CORDED PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL
PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2012
- TABLE 20 DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2007 -
2017 (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 21 PRODUCT MIX IN THE DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING SECTOR BY VALUE
- TABLE 22 CUTTING & GRINDING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2007 - 2017
- CHART 23 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CUTTING & GRINDING SECTOR (GRINDERS, SAWS,
'OTHERS') - BY VALUE 2012
- TABLE 24 CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2007 - 2017
- CHART 25 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING SECTOR (SANDERS,
PLANERS, ROUTERS, NAILERS & STAPLERS) BY VALUE 2012
- TABLE 26 SUPPLIERS SHARES OF SALES OF THE PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER
TOOLS MARKET BY VALUE 2012
- CHART 27 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOL MARKET
- CHART 28 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES OF PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE POWER TOOLS
(POWER TOOL SPECIALISTS, GENERAL INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS, BUILDERS MERCHANTS,
ETC) - 2012 BY VALUE
- TABLE 29 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS
- CHART 30 BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2012
- TABLE 31 MARKET SHARES OF LEADING TOOL HIRE COMPANIES BY VALUE 2011
- CHART 32 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2012
- TABLE 33 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DIY MULTIPLES