AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 12th Edition of
the report "Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis". This
report is an up to date and comprehensive review of the domestic garden
leisure sector, and includes original research on this market.
While the poor summer in 2012 impacted negatively on the sector, 2013
represented a distinct improvement as both the climate and the UK economy
started to recover. This has carried on into 2014. This unique report provides
an invaluable guide to the current situation in the market, focusing on
market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future
Product sectors reviewed include:
- Garden Furniture
- Garden Leisure Accessories
The market has experienced a period of recovery in recent years, though mixed
summer weather during the 2011-2013 period has resulted in some market
volatility. 2014 has been more buoyant. Medium term prospects are optimistic
as consumers move more up-market and the report assesses market developments
and the implications of these changes for suppliers, distributors and
retailers - particulary in relation to the growth of internet retailing.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market size for 2013/14 and medium term forecasts to 2018.
- Changes to the material mix within the Garden Furniture sector.
- Growth of the internet channel for garden furniture and barbeques.
- Key drivers within individual product sectors - steady move upmarket.
- Review of key suppliers.
Some of the companies included:
Acorn Furniture, Alexander Rose, Barlow Tyrie, BeefEater, Big K Products UK,
Blue Diamond, Britannic Garden Furniture, Cadac, Calor Gas, Cast-iron
Chimineas UK, Chimineas Inc, Coleman UK, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres,
Europa Leisure, Garden Centre Online, Garden Products Online, Garden XL,
Garden4less, Gerrico, Gloster Furniture, Great Little Garden, Greenfingers
Trading, Grosfillex UK, Hartmann UK, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier
Nurseries, Hillview, John Robertson, Keengardener, Keter (UK), Kettler (GB),
Kirklees Developments, Klondyke Garden Centres, Kybotech, La Hacienda,
Landmann, Lead the Good Life, Leisuregrow Products, Li-Lo Leisure Products,
Notcutts, OMC Barbecues, Outback, Outdoor Chef (Europe), P J Bridgman,
Pro-Team UK, Rectella International, Sierra Space Heating, Solus Garden and
Leisure UK, Squires, Sunnflair, Sunshine Barbecues, Tansun, Taylors Garden
Buildings, The Garden Centre Group, The Internet Gardener, Van Hage,
Weber-Stephen Products, Westminster Teak.
Key areas covered in the report include:
FUTURE PROSPECTS AND FORECASTS
- Prospects for the garden leisure market - overview of key markets -
furniture, barbeques, accessories.
- Major factors influencing future performance - volatility of
sector, changing consumer trends etc.
- Forecast developments by products and market sectors.
- Distribution channels - share estimates, overview of changes in
distribution and impact on garden leisure industry etc. - growth of internet
GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET
- Market size by value - trends from 2006 through until 2018. Recent
market performance, current situation and reasons for trends, including
positive and negative factors affecting the market.
- Future trends for overall garden furniture - forecast to 2018, key
factors influencing future prospects.
- Product mix by type - shares by tables, chairs, sets, benches,
- Mix by Material - wood, metal, plastic/resin - market shares,
changes by material since 2006.
- Key suppliers of different types of garden furniture, leading
companies within the garden furniture market - market shares, positioning etc.
- Distribution channels for garden leisure products - channel shares
(DIY, Garden Centres, Internet, Dept. Stores, Catalogue/Mail Order etc.),
major companies involved in each channel.
- Size of barbecue market in both volume and value terms, 2008
through to 2013/14 with forecasts to 2018. Reasons for recent trends,
factors affecting the recent performance of the market.
- Forecasts for barbecue sales and factors influencing trends.
- Mix of barbecues by type - charcoal, gas - share by value and
volume, continuing growth of gas barbecues, other product trends.
- Changing nature of the product mix in the barbecue sector and key
drivers for this change.
- Future prospects for the barbecue and accessories markets.
- Major manufacturers/suppliers of barbecues, brand shares for
2013, company information. Other suppliers involved in the
manufacturing or distribution of barbecues and associated products.
- Distribution channels for barbecues and major chains/companies
involved in each channel.
GARDEN LEISURE AND BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
- Barbecue and accessory fuel market, size by value and recent trends.
- Leisure accessory products including - fire pits, chimeneas etc -
changing trends, environmental issues etc.
- Key suppliers for each of the above areas.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
For the purposes of this report, the Garden Leisure market is divided into
three sectors: Garden Furniture, Barbecues and Accessories (including cooking
utensils, fuel, patio heaters, etc.). The market was estimated to be worth
£508 million in 2013, reflecting growth of 12% from £455 million
in 2012. Expenditure on garden leisure products has been volatile in recent
years due to a combination of key factors - consumer confidence, the economic
climate, and the weather.
Our estimate for this market includes garden leisure products for the domestic
market only. A wider definition of the market, to include contract
furniture/equipment for pubs, hotels and public spaces, would encompass a
larger market and would be valued at a much higher level as a result. Also,
our market value for furniture does not include cushions/upholstery.
Positive drivers for this market include: good weather on bank holiday
weekends, sporting events and the trend for greater utilisation of outdoor
space. Garden furniture is the largest sector and accounts for the majority of
market value with a share of over 60% in 2013, followed by barbecue
accessories and barbecue equipment.
The garden furniture market is dominated by 3 materials: wood, metal and
plastic (including rattan style). Metal and plastic have gained share at the
expense of wood as consumers move away from traditional towards more
contemporary styles. The plastic category has been boosted in recent years by
the popularity of rattan style garden furniture made of all-weather plastic
materials which are resistant to the weather.
The barbeque sector has benefited from the trend to trade up from charcoal to
gas barbecues, the increasing interest in dining outside and added value from
product development. Own brands dominate this sector of the market accounting
for an estimated 45-55% share.
Garden leisure products are increasingly sourced and manufactured abroad,
particularly in the Far East and Eastern Europe, where production costs are
much lower than in the UK. The main route to market for garden leisure
products is through DIY multiples which dominate the market with an estimated
44% market share.
Garden centres are losing share in this sector, as garden furniture sales in
particular are moving away from garden centres. The trend towards greater
internet sales is continuing - both from specialists and general retailers.
The garden centre market is dominated by a number of large national and
regional groups and there has been some consolidation in this market which is
expected to continue in the coming years.
Sales will always be subject to the impact of the weather which can cause wide
fluctuations on an annual basis, but our estimates for the garden leisure
market for 2014 and beyond, are for good underlying growth given continued
improvement in the economy and favourable weather. The trend for outdoor
dining and use of the garden as for socialising which has benefited the garden
leisure market and been driven by lifestyle media, is likely to continue.
Other factors driving growth in the garden leisure market in the medium to
long term include; a general interest in environmentally friendly products
creating added value, continued media interest in the garden as an
aspirational living space, continued product development and a general trend
towards higher quality/value products in both furniture and barbecues, though
average prices for better quality products have fallen in real terms.
Overall, the garden leisure sector is likely to remain a vibrant market, with
plenty of suppliers and a wide range of products on offer. Future product
developments are likely to be driven by fashion, demographics and
housing/garden styles and sizes. The ageing population will result in more
people having time to spend in the garden - with older age groups more
inclined to use barbecues than 15-20 years ago.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.2 THE DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET
- 4.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX
5. GARDEN FURNITURE
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND HISTORY
- 5.3 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION
- 5.4 MATERIAL MIX
- 5.5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.6 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3.1 Charcoal Barbecues
- 6.3.2 Gas Barbecues
- 6.3.3 Other Barbecues
- 6.4 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION
- 6.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
7. ACCESSORIES MARKET
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE
- 7.3 BARBECUE/PATIO HEATER FUELS
- 7.4 BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
- 7.5 PATIO HEATERS
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARE
- 8.3 DIY MULTIPLES
- 8.4 GARDEN CENTRES
- 8.5 INTERNET SUPPLIERS AND E-SHOPPING, CATALOGUE AND MAIL ORDER
- 8.6 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY STORES
- 8.7 HIGH STREET CHAINS, GROCERY MULTIPLES AND HARDWARE STORES
- 8.8 OTHERS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- TABLE 1 UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008-2018 (£M
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2011-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 SHARE OF THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET BY MAJOR PRODUCT GROUP 2013
(HORTICULTURAL, LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, CHEMICALS ETC)
- TABLE 7 UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET 2008-2018 - MIX BY GARDEN FURNITURE,
BARBECUES, ACCESSORIES (£M RSP)
- CHART 8 UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE 2013 - VALUE MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE
(FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES)
- TABLE 9 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008-2018
- CHART 10 GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET BY MATERIAL BY VALUE - METAL, WOOD,
PLASTIC/RESIN - 2006-2014
- TABLE 11 KEY GARDEN FURNITURE COMPANIES AND MATERIALS USED
- TABLE 12 GARDEN FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX 2006, 2009, 2013 - TABLES, CHAIRS,
SETS, BENCHES, HAMMOCKS ETC - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 13 KEY SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES - UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET
- TABLE 14 UK BARBECUE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS - VOLUME & VALUE 2008-2018
- TABLE 15 PRODUCT MIX OF BARBECUES (CHARCOAL, GAS, OTHERS) UK 2013 - BY
VOLUME AND VALUE
- CHART 16 UK PRODUCT MIX OF BARBECUES (GAS / CHARCOAL) - BY VALUE 2006,
2009 & 2013
- CHART 17 UK HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION OF BARBECUES 1986-2013
- TABLE 18 UK BARBECUE BRAND SHARE 2013
- TABLE 19 UK GARDEN LEISURE ACCESSORY MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008-2018
(£M RSP) - FUEL, ACCESSORIES, OUTDOOR HEATERS
- CHART 20 GARDEN LEISURE DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- CHART 21 UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR GARDEN LEISURE PRODUCTS 2013 -
% BY VALUE (DIY, GARDEN CENTRES, INTERNET, CAT/MAIL ORDER, DEPT STORES ETC)
- CHART 22 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2013
- TABLE 23 PRODUCT MIX 2013 % SECTOR FOR THE SPECIALIST GARDEN E-TAILERS -
HORTICULTURAL, GARDEN LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES, CHEMICALS