INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 11th Edition of
the report "Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis". This report
is an up to date and comprehensive review of the domestic garden leisure
sector, and includes original research on this market.
Product sectors reviewed include:
- Garden Furniture.
- Garden Leisure Accessories.
This unique report answers the need for both a quantitative and
qualitative analysis of garden leisure products and represents an invaluable
guide to the current situation in the market for sales and marketing
professionals involved in the industry. Focusing on market size and trends,
product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, the report is
comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic
It is estimated that the garden leisure market was worth over £540
million at retail selling prices in 2011. The market has experienced a period
of stabilisiation following decline in 2008 and 2009 as a result of a number
of factors which are assessed in the report. The report also assesses the
implications of these changes for suppliers, distributors and retailers.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market size for 2011 and 2012 and medium term forecasts to 2016.
- Changes to the material mix within the Garden Furniture sector.
- Changing price mix emphasis in the Barbecue sector.
- Key drivers within individual product sectors.
- Review of key suppliers.
Some of the companies included:
Acorn Hardwood Furniture, Alexander Rose, Barlow Tyrie, Big K Products UK,
Blooms, Blue Diamond, Britannic Garden Furniture, Cadac, Calor Gas, Cast-iron
Chimineas UK, Chimineas Inc, Coleman UK, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres,
Europa Leisure, Garden Centre Online, Garden Products Online, Garden XL,
Garden4less, Gerrico, Gloster Furniture, Gone Gardening, Great Little Garden,
Greenfingers Trading, Grosfillex UK, Hartmann UK, Haskins Garden Centres
Hillier Nurseries, Jacobs Young & Westbury, John Robertson, Keengardener,
Keter (UK), Kettler (GB), Kirklees Developments, Klondyke Garden Centres,
Kybotech, La Hacienda, Landmann, Lead the Good Lif, Leisuregrow Products,
Li-Lo Leisure Products, Notcutts, OMC Barbecues, Outback, Outdoor Chef
(Europe), P J Bridgman, Pro-Team UK, Rectella International, Sierra Space
Heating, Solus Garden and Leisure UK, Squires, Sunnflair, Sunshine Barbecues,
Tansun, Taylors Garden Buildings, The Garden & Leisure Group, The Garden and
Home Trading Company, The Garden Centre Group, The Internet Gardener, Van
Hage, Walkham Teak, Weber-Stephen Products, Westminster Teak, Wyevale.
Key areas covered in the report include:
FUTURE PROSPECTS AND FORECASTS
- Prospects for the garden leisure market - major factors influencing
- Likely developments by product and market sectors.
- House building, historical trends, recent performance.
- Population profile, current trends, implications for the garden leisure
GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET
- Market size by value - trends from 2006 through until 2016. Recent
market performance, current situation and reasons for trends, including
positive and negative factors affecting the market.
- Future trends for overall garden furniture - forecast to 2016, key
factors influencing future prospects.
- Household penetration levels of total garden furniture.
- Product mix by type - tables, chairs, sets, benches, hammocks etc.
- Mix by Material - wood, metal, plastic/resin - market shares,
changes by material since 2006.
- Key suppliers of different types of garden furniture, leading
companies within the garden furniture market - market shares, positioning etc.
- Distribution channels for garden leisure products - channel shares
(DIY, Garden Centres, Internet, Dept. Stores, Catalogue/Mail Order etc.),
major companies involved in each channel.
- Size of barbecue market in both volume and value terms, 2006
through to 2011 with estimates for 2012 and forecasts to 2016. Reasons for
recent trends, factors affecting the recent performance of the market.
- Forecasts for barbecue sales and factors influencing trends.
- Household penetration of barbecues - future growth prospects.
- Mix of barbecues by type - charcoal, gas - share by value,
continuing growth of gas barbecues, other product trends.
- Changing nature of the product mix in the barbecue sector and key
drivers for this change.
- Future prospects for the barbecue and accessories markets.
- Major manufacturers/suppliers of barbecues, brand shares for
2011, company information. Other suppliers involved in the
manufacturing or distribution of barbecues and associated products.
- Distribution channels for barbecues and major chains/companies
involved in each channel.
GARDEN LEISURE AND BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
- Barbecue and accessory fuel market, size by value and recent trends.
- Leisure accessory products including - patio heaters, chimeneas etc
- changing trends, environmental issues etc.
- Market size estimates for each of the above product areas 2006-2016.
- Key suppliers for each of the above areas.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
This is the eleventh edition of the Garden Leisure Market Report and reviews
the market for garden furniture, barbecues and associated accessories
estimated to be worth an overall £540 million. The report assesses
developments in the garden leisure market in the light of the current economic
climate and provides an overall analysis of the sector, with indications of
the threats and opportunities likely to affect the future performance of this
market. The report consists of over 65 pages, including a variety of tables
and charts, with forecasts until 2016.
The market experienced high levels of growth at the start of the decade,
benefiting from high consumer confidence, good weather in key trading periods,
and media coverage, creating interest in the garden as a living area. However,
spending on garden leisure products lowed due to a combination of factors
including falling consumer confidence in the face of the poor economy and
successive cold, wet spring and summer periods.
2010 saw the start of recovery in the market as some improvement was seen in
the economy. This continued through 2011 with warm weather and an additional
bank holiday in the spring boosting sales, although the summer was wet,
limiting sales in this period.
In the medium to long term, the garden leisure market is forecast to see
consistent growth. The climate in the UK is expected to become warmer and
dryer in the summers and milder, although wetter, in the winter in the long
term. This could see the barbecue season expand and demand for garden leisure
Although the future is difficult to predict due to the market's reliance on
good weather in an unpredictable climate, we expect to see all sectors of the
market grow in future years, with an estimated market value of £617
million in 2016.
Garden leisure products are increasingly sourced and manufactured abroad,
particularly in the Far East and Eastern Europe, where production costs are
much lower than those in the UK. This has led to low levels of manufacturing
of garden leisure products in the UK.
Garden leisure products are distributed through 6 main channels. These are DIY
sheds, garden centres, high street chains and department stores, catalogue and
mail order retailers and hardware stores and independent DIY retailers.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.2 THE DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET
- 4.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX
5 GARDEN FURNITURE
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND HISTORY
- 5.3 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION
- 5.4 MATERIAL MIX
- 5.5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.6 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3.1 Charcoal Barbecues
- 6.3.2 Gas Barbecues
- 6.3.3 Other Barbecues
- 6.4 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION
- 6.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
7 ACCESSORIES MARKET
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE
- 7.3 BARBECUE/PATIO HEATER FUELS
- 7.4 BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
- 7.5 PATIO HEATERS
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARE
- 8.3 DIY MULTIPLES
- 8.4 GARDEN CENTRES
- 8.5 INTERNET SUPPLIERS AND E-SHOPPING.
- 8.6 CATALOGUE STORES AND MAIL ORDER
- 8.7 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY STORES.
- 8.8 HIGH STREET CHAINS AND HARDWARE STORES.
- 8.9 OTHERS.
TABLES AND CHARTS
- TABLE 1 UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE 2006-2016 (£M RSP)
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- CHART 6 SHARE OF THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET BY MAJOR PRODUCT GROUP 2011
- TABLE 7 UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET 2006-2016 (£M RSP)
- CHART 8 UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE 2011 - VALUE MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE
(FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES)
- TABLE 9 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET 2006-2016 (£M RSP)
- CHART 10 GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET BY MATERIAL BY VALUE - METAL, WOOD,
PLASTIC/RESIN - 2006-2012
- TABLE 11 KEY GARDEN FURNITURE COMPANIES AND MATERIALS USED
- TABLE 12 GARDEN FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX 2003, 2006, 2009 - TABLES, CHAIRS,
SETS, BENCHES, HAMMOCKS ETC - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 13 SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES - UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET 2008
- TABLE 14 UK BARBECUE MARKET VOLUME & VALUE 2006-2016
- TABLE 15 PRODUCT MIX OF BARBECUES (CHARCOAL, GAS, OTHERS) UK 2012
- CHART 16 UK PRODUCT MIX OF BARBECUES - BY VALUE 2006, 2009 & 2012
- CHART 17 UK HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION OF BARBECUES 1986-2011
- TABLE 18 UK BARBECUE BRAND SHARE 2012
- TABLE 19 UK GARDEN LEISURE ACCESSORY MARKET 2006-2016 (£M RSP) -
FUEL, ACCESSORIES, OUTDOOR HEATERS
- CHART 20 GARDEN LEISURE DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- TABLE 21 UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR GARDEN LEISURE PRODUCTS 2011 -
% BY VALUE
- CHART 22 GARDEN & LEISURE PRODUCTS MARKET SHARE BY MAJOR MULTIPLE 2011
- TABLE 23 PRODUCT MIX 2011 % SECTOR FOR THE SPECIALIST GARDEN E-TAILERS -
HORTICULTURAL, GARDEN LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES, CHEMICALS