INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 2nd edition of the
report, 'Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis'. The unique
report provides an informed and up-to-date analysis of this market and
includes a review of the recent market performance, influencing factors and
forecasts over the next few years.
The report contains:
- Market overview and forecasts by area to 2016 - analysis of the
market including recent developments plus forecasts and market drivers.
- Analysis of key product groups - sector sizes, product mixes &
trends and supply chains for waterfproofing membranes & felts and insulation.
- Review of end use markets - area installed by sector e.g. housing,
commercial and industrial and by applications i.e. newbuild, refurbishment and
RMI within each sector.
- Review of the flat roofing supply chain - overview of sector
structure. Profiles of leading manufacturers & suppliers of, merchants and
contractors with market share estimates.
Of particular interest are the following:-
- Analysis of recent market performance 2011 and 2012
- Forecast of market trends - 2013 to 2017.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market
- Key product sector analysis - market size, product mix and
profiles, influences and trends, distribution.
- Review of key suppliers of membranes and insulation - company
profiles, turnovers, market shares, etc.
- Review of distribution structure and key distributors e.g. roofing
- Review of flat roof contracting - sector structure and review of
Companies included in the report:-
Acclaim Contracts, Alltype Roofing Supplies, Alumasc Roofing Systems, Avonside
Roofing, Bauder, Bracknell Roofing, Breyer Roofing, Briggs Amasco, Burton
Roofing Merchants, Carlisle Construction Materials (CCM), CCF, Cellecta,
Celotex, Central Roofing & Building Services, Chesterfelt, Ecotherm Insulation
UK, EDS Roofing Supplies (Midlands), EJ Roberts Roofing, Elliotts Premier
Roofing, Encon, Everlast Waterproofing, F.G.F, Fatra, Fenland Flat Roofing,
Flachdach Technologie (FDT) GmbH & Co, Graham Roofing (Scotland), Hambleside
Danelaw, Icopal, IKO, Integrated Polymer Systems UK, Interloc Building
Solutions, International Construction Bureau, Jennings Roofing, Kemper System,
Kingspan Insulation, Lakesmere, Langley Waterproofing Systems, Liquid
Plastics, McLaw Living Roofs, Met-clad Contracts, Miller Roofscapes, Minster
Insulation, Mitie Tilley Roofing, Panel Systems, Paul Happe Contracts,
Pittsburgh Corning (UK), Polyroof, Prater, Protan, Raven Roofing Supplies,
Recticel Insulation, Renolit Waterproofing, Richardson Roofing, Rockwool,
Roofdec, Roofline Group, Rose Roofing, RS Miller Roofing, Saint-Gobain Isover,
SD Samuels (Special Projects), SIG Roofing, Sika, Soprema, Springvale EPS,
Survey Roofing, Swift Roofing Contracts, The Garland Company, Topek, Tor
Coatings, Triflex (UK), Vencel Resil (Jablite), Weatherproofing Advisors,
Wensley Roofing, Western Counties Roofing, Xtratherm.
Key areas covered in the report:
UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET OVERVIEW
- Flat roofing market - key characteristics of the market, analysis
by area installed from 2007 to 2012. Values for 2012 at installation and
- Key product groups reviewed - membranes & felts and insulation.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development -
e.g. flats construction, commercial & industrial newbuild and refurbishment,
UK flats stock levels, Zero Carbon initiative.
- Market forecasts - estimates for 2012 & prospects up to 2017, key
factors influencing future prospects, areas of growth and decline e.g. Part L
FLAT ROOFING SYSTEM ELEMENT
- Review of waterproofing membranes- by type by area installed;
review of products within each sector including; annual trends in area
installed and underpinning market factors: bitumen membranes, single ply
membranes, liquid waterproofing and others (mastic asphalt and GRP). Review of
supply chains and key suppliers for each product sector.
- Review of thermal insulation sector - by type by area installed;
review of products within each sector including; annual trends in area
installed and underpinning market factors: PIR boards, stone wool, XPS etc
Review of supply chains and key suppliers for each product sector.
- Other flat roofing elements - overview of use of other components
e.g. decking, vapour control layers.
REVIEW OF END USE APPLICATIONS
- Overview of mix by application e.g. housing, commercial and
industry by area installed.
- Review of each end user sector e.g. mix & trends in newbuild,
refurbishment & RMI.
FLAT ROOFING PRODUCTS SUPPLIERS REVIEW
- Identification of key manufacturers of membranes and insulation -
market shares for each, turnovers, company structure, key areas of
- Supplier reviews for the top 20+ manufacturers and suppliers of
membranes and top 8 for insulation.
OVERVIEW OF FLAT ROOFING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION
- Overview of distribution mix for flat roofing products- and review
of the key suppliers e.g. roofing merchants and builders merchants.
OVERVIEW OF FLAT ROOF CONTRACTING
- Overview of sector structure and review of the top 30 contractors in
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The market for flat roofing systems showed a further decline to an estimated
20 million m in 2012, underpinned by the continuing recession in key markets
notably; business park, office newbuild, industrial warehousing construction,
shopping mall and out-of-town retail newbuild and a continuation of a recent
trend way from building flats towards standard housebuilding. From late 2011,
the impact of public sector budget cuts implemented in 2010 began to impact on
non domestic construction newbuild output, particularly in the public sector.
However, to some extent the rate of decline in demand has been mitigated by
increased levels of refurbishment / re-roofing in certain sectors such as
retail warehousing and BSF secondary schools. Unlike other building fabric
elements, demand for flat roofing systems is less dependent on newbuild
activity, with refurbishment typically accounting for around 60% of new
installations and re-roofing.
While recent years have been difficult, 2011 and 2012 showed some signs of
stabilisation and perhaps even more positive signs, though the latter part of
2012 again turned more negative.
Over the medium term, to 2017, there may be a modest improvement in demand,
underpinned by drivers such as; tighter energy efficiency requirements
(Building Regulations Part L 2013), initiatives such as Zero Carbon Homes and
the Fabric Energy Efficiency Standard and possible recovery in key markets
such as commercial offices and retail construction.
Offset against this will be lower levels of demand from the public sector for
newbuild and, possibly, major refurbishment works.
Some flat roofing products e.g. PVC single ply membranes and liquid roofing
systems - have fared better than others due to factors such as greater
ease/speed of installation, lower cost and wider ranges of colour finishes.
The supply of waterproofing membranes is concentrated among relatively few
suppliers led by IKO and Sika, the other major players being Icopal and
Bauder. Similarly, the supply of insulation products is limited to a small
number of manufactures including Kingpsan Insulation, Rockwool, Celotex and
Distribution is typically split between the roofing merchants on the one hand
that typically supply smaller contractors and general builders and other
channels, primarily direct sales that are mainly to contractors working on
larger commercial and industrial projects.
The roofing contracting sector itself is polarised between a large number of
very small/local firms and a relatively small number of national and large
regional businesses. However, with the commercial and industrial sector
accounting for around three quarters of installations, there are fewer
companies providing flat roofing services. The leading contractors in this
sector include Briggs Amasco, Avonside Roofing, Mitie Tilley and Breyer
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 THE UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS MARKET SIZE AND FACTORS
- 4.2.1 Overview of Market Size and Recent Trends
- 4.2.2 Non-Residential Buildings Stock and Refurbishment
- 4.2.3 Non-Residential New Construction Activity
- 4.2.4 Flats Stock Levels and Refurbishment
- 4.2.5 Flats Construction
- 4.2.6 Housing Construction
- 4.2.7 Zero Carbon, Part L of the Building Regulations and The Fabric
Energy Efficiency Standard
5 FLAT ROOFING SYSTEM ELEMENTS
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION
- 5.2 FLAT ROOF MEMBRANES/FELTS
- 5.2.1 Product Mix Overview
- 5.2.2 Bitumen Sheets
- 5.2.3 Single Ply Membranes
- 5.2.4 Liquid Waterproofing/Roofing Systems
- 5.2.5 Other Systems
- 5.3 INSULATION
- 5.3.1 Definition
- 5.3.2 Market Size by Area Installed
- 5.3.3 Product Mix
- 5.4 OTHER FLAT ROOF COMPONENTS
- 5.4.1 Vapour Control Layers
- 5.4.2 Decking
6 END USE APPLICATIONS
- 6.1 GENERAL MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.2 NON-RESIDENTIAL SECTOR
- 6.3 RESIDENTIAL SECTOR
- 7.1 ROOF MEMBRANES AND FELTS
- 7.2 INSULATION
- 7.3 DECKING
- 7.4 GREEN ROOFING SYSTEMS
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION OVERVIEW
- 8.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 8.2.1 Roofing Merchants / Specialist Distributors
- 8.2.2 Builders' Merchants
- 8.2.3 Direct supply
9 FLAT ROOFING CONTRACTING
- 9.1 STRUCTURE
- 9.2 LEADING FLAT ROOFING CONTRACTORS